Fireplaces are as homey as it gets. The biggest drawback about fireplaces is the mess created by burning wood. Keeping the fire stoked, while trying to keep the house clean is burdensome and time consuming. Thankfully, you can have your fireplace without any of the aggravation. Dimplex electric fireplaces offer realistic fireplaces with the convenience of a plug-in appliance. They come in a variety of models, even corner units. For the occasional times when they need troubleshooting, follow a sequential process to identify and fix the problem.
Confirm that the fireplace is installed on the electrically appropriate circuit. Make sure the heater is the only appliance on the circuit; it needs to be a 15-amp dedicated circuit. Check this detail if the breaker kicks off every time you turn the unit on.
Replace the remote if the unit comes on independently without your having turned it on. Other remotes in the home, or even next door if the next house is close enough, may share the same frequency; or the remote is sensitive to the other radio frequencies in the area. Replace the circuit board of the unit if the remote is not the problem.
Check the power supply if the unit will not come on when you press the remote. Inspect the wiring and test the main on/off switch.
Evaluate the appearance of the flame. Look for and replace the burnt-out light bulbs if the ember bed does not flicker and glow, or the flame is not visible or bright. Replace the light harness and check for loose wiring.
Check the remote if the fireplace won't turn off or on. Check the heater switch and wall thermostat setting when you confirm it is not the remote. Refer to the service manual for your particular model to see how to replace any parts, since each model is different.
Ignore the odour you will smell when the heater/fireplace is first turned on at installation. Replace the heater and blower if the odour persists beyond the first two or three times you use it, depending upon the amount of time you use it each time.
If you have heat but no blower, or the reverse, you more than likely have a defective heater assembly; replace it.
Be especially careful with wiring the fireplace in, being sure to leave no damaged wiring in place or loose connections.