How to Fix a Cracked Leather Watch Strap
by my watch image by Aleksandr Ugorenkov from Fotolia.com
Do you have a favourite old watchband that has seen better days? One that's dried, cracked and discoloured? While the look of leather watch straps can be restored, keep in mind that the damage caused by years of wear may compromise the band's strength.
If the cracks on your watch strap are scratches on the surface, you can give the leather a facelift.
- Do you have a favourite old watchband that has seen better days?
- If the cracks on your watch strap are scratches on the surface, you can give the leather a facelift.
Clean the strap with leather cleaner and a soft cloth, following product instructions. Apply pressure when rubbing areas that are heavily soiled. Let the watchband dry overnight.
Mix the leather repair compound to match the colour of the watchband or to the desired shade. Spread it in and over the crack, as smoothly as possible. Follow the repair kit's directions for matching grain and texture.
- Mix the leather repair compound to match the colour of the watchband or to the desired shade.
- Follow the repair kit's directions for matching grain and texture.
Allow the repairs to dry thoroughly. Apply leather dye or shoe polish, if necessary, to blend the repair with the rest of the strap. Follow the product instructions.
Apply leather conditioner. Buff the strap to a shiny lustre with a soft cloth.
- "Leather and Latex Care: How to Keep Your Leather and Latex Looking Great"; Kelly J. Thibault; 1996
- Remove the strap from your timepiece before attempting any repairs.
- Older straps can break. If yours is a valuable timepiece, consider replacing your watchband to minimise the risk of loss or damage from dropping.
Izzy Moon brings to her craft more than 25 years of experience as a writer in the fields of broadcasting, advertising, entertainment, education, physical fitness and journalism. She has written stories, scripts and materials for radio, TV, The Autry Museum of the American West, Universal Studios and other companies. Her articles have appeared in publications throughout the United States.