We Value Your Privacy

We and our partners use technology such as cookies on our site to personalise content and ads, provide social media features, and analyse our traffic. Click below to consent to the use of this technology across the web. You can change your mind and change your consent choices at anytime by returning to this site.

Update Consent
Loading ...

How to Report Traffic Violations

Updated July 20, 2017

Tailgating, running red lights, driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, speeding and illegal left turns are the leading traffic violations that cause collisions, according to the Sacramento Police District. Data released by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration shows there were 30,797 fatal crashes nationwide in 2009. Traffic violations is the major contributor of traffic collisions. Reporting a traffic violation is not just a legal obligation. It is a social responsibility.

Loading ...
  1. Call the Police Department. Most cities provide a non-emergency phone number you can call if you witness a traffic violations. Before you call, get as much information as you can regarding the violator. Provide the location, the description of the vehicle, vehicle License Number, date and time of the incident. If the vehicle is registered in another state, you must provide that information. If the traffic violations have caused an accident, call 911.

  2. File an online report. If you are more comfortable filing a report through writing, the cities also provide an online form where you can provide all pf the necessary information about the traffic violations you have witnessed. Either way, the agency keeps your personal information confidential.

  3. Fill out an Accident Involvement Form. If you have been involved in an accident due to someone else's traffic violations or your own violations and the damage costs more than £487, you are obligated to file a report to the Department of Motor Vehicles. Accident Involvement Forms consist of six different types of forms: Traffic Accident Report (SR 1), Financial Responsibility Document Request (SR 19C), The Compulsory Financial Responsibility Law (SR 104), Notice of Unsatisfied Judgement of £487 or less (DL 17), Certificate of Facts Regarding Unsatisfied Judgement (DL 30), and Application for Noncommercial Restricted Driver License for Financial Responsibility Actions (DL 691). Choose the applicable form, fill it out, then send it to the Department of Motor Vehicles no later than 10 days after the accident.

  4. Warning

    Filing a false report to malign another driver is punishable by law.

Loading ...

About the Author

Armina Hill

Based in Burbank, Calif., Armina Hill started writing fiction novels in 1992. Her books were published and distributed by Books for Pleasure, Inc. She also translates books for Scripture Union and writes grant requests for a non-profit agency. Hill holds a Bachelor of Arts in mass communication from Far Eastern University, Manila, Philippines.

Loading ...
Loading ...