Faux fur is fast becoming an acceptable even desirable alternative to using real animal fur. Faux or fake fur serves two purposes: fashion and warmth. Dirt and dust tend to cling easily and accumulate on faux fur. A faux fur item such as a throw pillow often comes with a label recommending dry cleaning only, so cleaning your faux fur throw pillow can become expensive. Instead, use a few household items to keep your faux fur throw pillow clean.
Set the washing machine level to medium. Set the water temperature to lukewarm or cold. Never use hot water as this may alter the shape of the fur.
Add 1/2 cup of detergent and start your washing machine cycle. Allow the machine to fill to the halfway point with water before you put in your pillow.
Place your throw pillow in the water, dirty side face down.
Let your throw pillow soak in the water and detergent for no more than 10 to 15 minutes.
Check your throw pillow for any evidence of stains or dirt after 10-15 minutes. You will need to gently scrub what is left using your hands. Be careful at this point because your faux fur pillow is waterlogged, so it will be heavy. Hold the pillow up by one side and allow the excess water drip out.
Set your machine to the spin cycle. If the machine begins to agitate or jump, turn it off and drain the water. The spin cycle helps to remove excess water from the faux fur pillow.
Place the pillow over a shower rod or a strong clothesline to dry. Make sure the rod or clothesline can hold the weight. Shift the pillow over the rod and stroke the fur to restore the pile and shape of the pillow. It can take 24 to 48 hours to dry the pillow indoors.
- Use only a top-load washing machine. Front-load machines cause too much agitation and may damage the faux fur.
- Use a cleaning liquid on stains before cleaning and rinsing. Do a spot test first to ensure no damage is done to the material.
- Shaggy faux fur tends to be long, so be careful when handling to prevent knotting. You can use net dry-cleaning or laundry bags to prevent matting as well.
- Heat and too much agitation in the washing machine will damage your faux fur throw pillow.
- Do not hang to dry. If you must hang, allow the hangers to take the brunt of the weight by using two hangers to hold all 4 corners. It must be as horizontal as possible.
- Never store fake fur inside a plastic bag. It needs ventilation or air to breathe.