How to Clean Mold From Window Sills
Mold can grow on any surface that has accumulated moisture. Window sills are especially vulnerable to mould because of condensation or leaks in the window frame. Mold is a fungus that releases tiny reproductive bodies called spores that can grow into mould when the right conditions exist.
You can easily inhale these spores through the lungs, which can cause respiratory problems. If you find mould on your windowsills, take immediate action to keep yourself and your family safe and healthy.
Put on protective eye goggles, a face mask and rubber gloves to protect yourself from ingesting or touching tiny mould spores. Wear old clothes that you can discard after cleaning the mould.
Scrape off any visible mould on the window sill with a plastic spatula. Mix 1/2 cup of washing powder with 1 gallon of water in a bucket.
Fill a spray bottle with water and spray the mouldy area. Mouldy spores will have less of a chance of becoming airborne if they are wet.
Apply the detergent solution to the mouldy area with a cloth. Let it sit for several minutes and then scrub the affected area with a nylon scrub brush until the mould is completely gone.
Dry your window sill with a clean towel. Remove protective gear and discard your clothing.
- Detergent works just as well as chemicals. Chemicals are not advised because of their harsh fumes and the potential damage they pose to the surface of the window sill or the carpeting below.
- Use vinegar to prevent mould from coming back. Vinegar makes an excellent protective barrier against future mould growth. Rub some white vinegar on the window sill with a clean cloth to prevent future mould attacks.
- Check your window sills regularly for signs of moisture and mould. Regularly remove standing water on your window surfaces with a dry cloth, and fix any water leaks you may have to prevent future mould problems.