How to kill house mites
House mites, also known as dust mites, are just one of many type of mites in the world. Mites like to live in damp, humid, warm places. Mites live off the dead skin cells of humans as well as the dander from pets.
Although house dust mites are relatively harmless and you may never know you have them, if you or your pets are allergic to them, you may find them to be a real problem. Luckily, there are a few ways you can kill dust mites at home for little money and effort.
- House mites, also known as dust mites, are just one of many type of mites in the world.
- Luckily, there are a few ways you can kill dust mites at home for little money and effort.
Place any bedding, towels or clothing that need to be cleaned of mites into the wash. Also wash all pet bedding.
Add 24 drops of eucalyptus essential oil to the wash. Eucalyptus oil kills mites.
Wash as normal, using your regular detergent. If it will not damage the textiles, consider using hot water, which is also effective in killing the mites.
Vacuum your carpet well to release as much dust and dirt as possible. Most dust mites will be able to hold on through this process but it will release some of the debris. Also vacuum your upholstered furniture and mattresses, too.
- Wash as normal, using your regular detergent.
- Vacuum your carpet well to release as much dust and dirt as possible.
Steam clean your carpet using hot water. Hot water will help kill a lot of the mites. Steam clean your upholstered furniture and mattress as well.
Repeat vacuuming every day to every other day. Repeat steam cleanings at least once a week.
- Washing your bedding not only kills the mites, but it also washes away dead skin cells that mites feed on.
- If it is an option, remove as much carpeting from your home as possible. Carpets are a good place for mites to hold on and are hard to clean completely.
- Use an air cleaner with a HEPA filter. This will help catch dust particles in the air.
- When all else fails, you can use dust mite sprays. These sprays can be applied directly to your bedding, your carpets and your furniture and will kill many mites.