There are plenty of good reasons to keep your car's engine clean. Grimy engines are harder to work on, not to mention a lot messier. Built-up dirt and oil make it difficult to locate oil leaks, and once the debris gets on your hands or tools, it can make them slippery. Dirty engines also don't perform as efficiently as clean engines. But cleaning an engine can be a challenge as well, especially on newer models featuring all kinds of electronic gadgetry that may be quite sensitive to jet sprays of water. That's were specially formulated degreasers from the manufacturer Gunk come into play.
Park the car outside. If you must use an interior garage, open the doors and windows to insure proper ventilation. Turn the ignition switch off. Allow the engine to completely cool before applying Gunk Engine Degreaser.
Raise and secure the bonnet in its opened position. Completely cover the distributor, carburettor, all electronic components and wiring and air intake systems. Double-check to make sure all exposed electrical conductors are covered to prevent short-circuiting.
Make sure the engine is completely dry. Point the spray nozzle in the direction of the engine. Depress the spray button and spray the degreaser liberally over all exposed engine parts.
Wipe away any over-spray from painted surfaces and exterior surfaces with a wet cloth. Allow the degreaser to work for 15 minutes. Areas that have excessive soiling may require brushing to remove debris.
Rinse the degreaser from the engine with a fine stream of water beginning from the top and working to the bottom. Remove the coverings from the distributor, carburettor, all electronic components and wiring and air intake systems.
Start the engine. Allow the engine to idle for 15 minutes or until it is completely dry.
- Follow all local codes regarding environmental protection when using any engine-degreasing product.
- Never start the engine with Gunk Engine Degreaser still on. Always rinse completely first.
- Gunk Engine Degreaser may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. If ingested, do not induce vomiting. Contact the local poison control or emergency room immediately.