How to make teacup wine glasses
Teacup wine glasses are a feminine take on the classic wine glass. Perfect for country homes and shabby chic decor, tea cup glasses are made from china cups and have wine stems attached. They make lovely housewarming gifts, and can easily be crafted in an afternoon using inexpensive or used materials.
Purchase teacups individually or in sets. For a shabby chic look, buy a group of four or six cups in different styles but the same colour. For a more formal look, duplicate cups make a nice matching set.
Score the wine glass stem near the base of the cup part of the glass. Hold the stem firmly and gently tap the glass on the edge of a sink. The wine glass should separate from the stem.
- Teacup wine glasses are a feminine take on the classic wine glass.
- Perfect for country homes and shabby chic decor, tea cup glasses are made from china cups and have wine stems attached.
Sand the top of the wine stem until you have a smooth and flat surface. Make sure that the surface of the stem is level and not angled toward any side.
Spread a thin layer of glass glue on the top of the stem where you have sanded. Place the teacup upside down on the table, with the bottom of the cup sticking up. Place the stem in the centre of the teacup bottom. Hold the stem in place until the glue begins to set.
Leave the cups in place overnight to ensure that the glue has set completely.
- Sand the top of the wine stem until you have a smooth and flat surface.
- Spread a thin layer of glass glue on the top of the stem where you have sanded.
- Attractive cups can be purchased at thrift stores and garage sales.
- Chipped and broken wine glasses are perfect for using in this project.
- Lay a dish towel over the glass when you are tapping it against the sink to remove the stem, in order to ensure that pieces of glass don't fly off into the room.
Working in sunny Florida, Anne Baley has been writing professionally since 2009. Her home and lifestyle articles have been seen on Coldwell Banker and Gardening Know How. Baley has published a series of books teaching how to live a frugal life with style and panache.