We Value Your Privacy

We and our partners use technology such as cookies on our site to personalise content and ads, provide social media features, and analyse our traffic. Click below to consent to the use of this technology across the web. You can change your mind and change your consent choices at anytime by returning to this site.

Update Consent
Loading ...

How to remove a father's name from a birth certificate

Updated February 21, 2017

It's not commonplace that someone wants to remove a father's name from a child's birth certificate. There are only specific reasons as to why a father's name can be removed, and it typically can not be removed simply because your family is going through tough times or divorce. However, it is not impossible (although not probable) to have a father's name removed from the child's birth certificate.

Loading ...
  1. Make an appeal in Family Court to have the father's name removed from the birth certificate. You will need to have specific reasons as to why. These reasons can be that the father is not the biological father of the child (with medical DNA proof), or possibly because the father has abandoned the child. A judge will almost always allow you to remove the father's name for biological reasons, but not necessarily due to abandonment.

  2. Receive the court order stating the father's name must be changed on the child's birth certificate.

  3. Take the court order to the state's department of records (or where the court specifically tells you). Present the court order to the state clerk's office.

  4. Wait for the clerk's office to adjust the records. They will change only what the court order states should be changed. You will receive a new copy of your child's birth certificate.

Loading ...

About the Author

Greyson Ferguson is a graduate of the Savannah College of Art and Design with a degree in film and television. He currently resides in Lansing, Michigan where he works on independent film projects and writes for numerous publications. Ferguson primarily focuses on computer and electronic articles. Greyson produces TheDailyUpbeat.com, focusing on only upbeat news stories with daily updates.

Loading ...