How to clean urine on a memory foam mattress
Memory foam is an innovative, popular material for mattresses. The material, however, is quite different from standard mattresses, and abrasive cleaning products can damage the memory foam.
Urine is a difficult scent and stain to remove from any material, and basic cleaning methods may not be right for the memory foam. If you don't want to further damage the memory foam, you must be careful with what you use to clean the urine. It may be surprising that something as basic as water and vinegar will not only clean urine from memory foam, but leave it in perfect condition.
Remove blankets, sheets and any other coverings from the bed and wash as you normally would. To remove any stains, you can use bleach. However, do not use any bleach on the memory foam mattress.
- Memory foam is an innovative, popular material for mattresses.
- Urine is a difficult scent and stain to remove from any material, and basic cleaning methods may not be right for the memory foam.
Tip your mattress on its side. To avoid getting the floor wet, lay down garbage bags on either side of the mattress.
Pour 1/2 cup of white vinegar and 1/2 cup of warm water into a spray bottle.
Spray the stain with the vinegar and water solution. Make sure you spray enough solution to penetrate through the stain and the mattress.
Lean the mattress against a wall, out of the sunlight.
Place a fan near the mattress and turn it on high. The blowing air will dry the mattress and lessen the smell of vinegar. Let your mattress sit out for approximately four hours before you cover it again.
- Tip your mattress on its side.
- Make sure you spray enough solution to penetrate through the stain and the mattress.
- Add a few drops of any essential oil to the vinegar and water solution to deodorise the mattress.
- Do not leave the mattress in direct sunlight for more than four hours at a time, as it can damage the material.