How to remove turmeric stains
Turmeric is a common ingredient in curry and other Indian dishes. This deep-orange spice can leave orange or reddish stains on clothes or kitchen linens if spilt. If you launder them as usual, a pink, permanently set stain will result, ruining the fabric.
You can remove turmeric stains if you act before washing---the quicker the better. Common cleaning items and things from your pantry work best.
Rub liquid dish detergent into the stain and allow it to sit for 30 minutes. Rinse the stain with cool water.
- Turmeric is a common ingredient in curry and other Indian dishes.
- This deep-orange spice can leave orange or reddish stains on clothes or kitchen linens if spilt.
Apply vinegar to the stain, which has now faded to a pale pink or yellowish-orange colour. Blot the stain with a clean cloth.
Rub the cut side of a lemon onto the stain if it is still visible. Set the stain in the sun for 10 minutes to an hour until the stain fades completely or becomes faint.
Wash the stained item with your favourite washing powder according to the manufacturer's instructions. Check to see that the stain is gone before placing it in the dryer.
Clean it once more with liquid dish detergent if the stain is still visible, and wash it again. Dry as usual once the stain has disappeared.
- Apply vinegar to the stain, which has now faded to a pale pink or yellowish-orange colour.
- Rub the cut side of a lemon onto the stain if it is still visible.
- Use an oxygenated bleach to remove turmeric from carpets and upholstery.
- Rub lemon carbonated soda such as Sprite into turmeric stains on furniture and carpet to remove them.
- Lemon juice and sun can bleach out colours from fabric, so check the item often to insure the fabric isn't fading.
Jenny Harrington has been a freelance writer since 2006. Her published articles have appeared in various print and online publications. Previously, she owned her own business, selling handmade items online, wholesale and at crafts fairs. Harrington's specialties include small business information, crafting, decorating and gardening.