How to Use a Tortilla Warmer
As its name implies, a tortilla warmer is used to keep tortillas warm. Warm tortillas are softer and more malleable than cold tortillas, so you can wrap ingredients in them more easily. This is ideal for dishes like fajitas, tacos and burritos.
Warm tortillas also have a more mellow taste that blends with the ingredients they're holding. Although the style and design of tortilla warmers varies, they generally work the same.
Pull apart all of the tortillas so they will not stick together. Place the tortillas in the tortilla warmer. Don't overload the warmer; the cover should be able to fit snugly on top of the warmer when it is full.
- As its name implies, a tortilla warmer is used to keep tortillas warm.
Microwave your tortilla warmer. Set the time according to how many, and what type, of tortillas you're warming. For corn tortillas, 1 to 4 tortillas need 25 seconds, 5 to 8 need 40 seconds, 9 to 12 need 55 seconds and 13 to 16 need 1 minute and 5 seconds. For flour tortillas, 1 to 4 tortillas need 15 seconds, 5 to 8 need 25 seconds, 9 to 12 need 35 seconds and 13 to 16 need 45 seconds.
Remove the warmed tortillas from the microwave and keep the lid on until you are ready to consume them.
Eat the tortillas within 30 minutes to 1 hour. Use caution when removing the lid, especially right after removing them from the microwave. Hot steam will rise from the warmer once the lid is removed.
- Microwave your tortilla warmer.
- Remove the warmed tortillas from the microwave and keep the lid on until you are ready to consume them.
- If your tortillas tend to stick together after you've warmed them in the microwave, try lining the tortilla warmer with a dry paper towel before heating. The paper towel will help soak up some of the excess moisture that the tortillas release during warming. Alternatively, place small squares of deli paper or parchment paper between each tortilla to help prevent them from sticking.
- Most tortilla warmers are microwave-safe, but double-check the instructions. If the tortilla warmer is not microwave safe, you will have to individually heat your tortillas over a gas flame, on a griddle or in a hot skillet; stack each tortilla in the warmer as you heat it.