How to Treat a Pregnant Dog for Fleas
If your pregnant dog has a problem with fleas, you can't treat the dog with medications as this could endanger the dog's unborn puppies. There are some things you can do for your dog, however. Using all natural methods, you can be sure that your dog and her puppies will be fine and that the fleas will be gone.
Fill a bathtub up to your dog's belly with lukewarm water. Place your dog in the bath water. If your dog is big, you will need help to lift her in to the tub. Pour a little Dawn or Ivory dish washing liquid in to a small bowl and add 3 drops of citrus extract. Mix together and use it as a shampoo for your dog. Fleas can't live in soapy water so soap up your dog and keep her wet for a total of 5 minutes. Drain out the bath water and dead fleas and rinse her off.
- If your pregnant dog has a problem with fleas, you can't treat the dog with medications as this could endanger the dog's unborn puppies.
- If your dog is big, you will need help to lift her in to the tub.
Use a flea comb. These combs are sold at all pet stores. You will need to either use the comb when your dog is in the bathtub, or later on. To use the comb, dip it in a pan of soapy water (dish soap and water mixed). Slide the comb through the dog's hair and dip back in the pan. The comb will get fleas and their eggs and they will die in the soapy water. You can do this twice per day until the fleas are gone.
- These combs are sold at all pet stores.
- To use the comb, dip it in a pan of soapy water (dish soap and water mixed).
Get out an empty spray bottle to concoct your own homemade flea spray. Fill your bottle 95 per cent with warm water. Next, add 4 drops of cedar oil to the bottle (fleas hate the smell of cedar). Finish off the mixture by adding 4 drops of lavender oil Screw the lid on and give it a shake. Spray all over your dog at breakfast, lunch and dinner for 7 days.
Treat the dog's surroundings. You can do this by sprinkling salt all over your floors when you go to bed at night. Leave your bedroom carpet alone and bring your dog in your room for the night. In the morning, vacuum up all of the salt and then salt your bedroom floor. Vacuum up your bedroom floor before going to bed at night. The fleas won't be able to survive on the flooring if it is covered in salt. Make sure you empty your vacuum cleaner bag as soon as you are done vacuuming. Place it in an air tight bag and throw in the outside dustbin.
- Get out an empty spray bottle to concoct your own homemade flea spray.
- Leave your bedroom carpet alone and bring your dog in your room for the night.
Make your own homemade flea traps or buy some at the store. All you need are a couple of night lights and a couple of bowls of soapy water. Plug a night light in an outlet and place some bowls of soapy water underneath of them. The fleas will see the light and jump towards it, then they will fall in to the soapy water and drown.
- Orange oil works just as well as citrus extract if you would rather use that.
- Throw cedar shavings all around your house where your dog roams. Fleas hate the smell of cedar.
- Make sure you wash all of your dogs toys and bedding so these items don't get reinfested.
Alicia Bodine has been a professional writer for 13 years. She has produced thousands of articles for online publications such as Demand Studios, GoBankingRates and WiseGeek. Bodine is passionate about gardening, travel, education and finance. She has received awards for being a top content producer.