About sleeper earrings

Image by Flickr.com, courtesy of Drew Herron

Sleeping in earrings can be uncomfortable, yet there are situations where it makes sense. If small children have pierced ears it can be difficult and even dangerous to repeatedly remove and reinsert earrings. Also, the holes in newly pierced ears will begin to close without an earring to hold them open.

Sleeper Earrings

Image by Flickr.com, courtesy of James Emery

Sleeper earrings are simply earrings that have been designed to be comfortable around the clock and when worn for long periods of time.


Sleeper earrings are generally small to promote comfort and to prevent entanglement with bedding or hair. Simple, smooth studs with short posts or screw backs and small hoops are the most popular shapes.

Metal Allergies

Many people are sensitive to nickel, a component of a lot of costume jewelery. It is also present in some expensive metals such as white gold. If your ear lobes become hot, red, itchy or sticky while you are wearing earrings, you are probably having an allergic reaction to nickel. Once you have developed a sensitivity to nickel you will likely remain sensitive to it forever.

Hypoallergenic Metals

Sleeper earrings should be hypoallergenic. That means they should be made from metals that do not include nickel such as surgical steel, titanium, 18-carat yellow gold, 14-carat, nickel-free yellow gold and niobium. While some of these metals are expensive, others are not.

Not Allergic?

Even if you have never had an allergic reaction to nickel it is still a good idea to wear hypoallergenic jewelery. Sensitivity to nickel can develop slowly over time, and when a reaction does occur it can be extremely uncomfortable.