DISCOVER
×
Loading ...

Borax Ingestion in Dogs

Updated July 19, 2017

Borax can be found in the house in several places and it is important your dog does not ingest the chemical. The Environmental Protection Agency said it is moderately acutely toxic. The poison can affect blood and metabolism as well as the endocrine system. Kidneys seem to be affected quite frequently.

Loading ...

Source of Borax

Borax can be found Mostly in outdoors products and cleaning products.

Borax can be found in ant and roach baits, flea products, herbicides, fertilisers, denture cleaners, contact lens solutions, antiseptics, disinfectants and cleaning compounds.

Signs

Some of the signs of poisoning can show up within two hours of ingestion. Drooling, vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhoea, depression, muscle weakness, tremors, seizures, blood in the urine. If nothing is done, the condition could worsen to a coma and even death. If you suspect that he may have ingested or been exposed to borax, do not wait to take action. If he is showing signs of poisoning, you need to act to help the animal.

The dog can be affected by borax by ingesting the poison or having his skin exposed to it. Ingesting the poison is more serious, but dermal exposure can also have some effects.

Action to Take

If the dog ingested borax, induce vomiting and then seek your veterinarian.

If the dog were exposed to the skin, wash with warm soapy water, dry thoroughly. Wear gloves and protective clothes to avoid human exposure. Then take her to the veterinarian.

Veterinary Care

The veterinarian may continue with inducing vomiting and a gastric lavage may be performed. That is more commonly known as having your stomach pumped.

Bathing will be repeated if it is a dermal exposure.

The dog may be given IV fluids to thwart dehydration and to help with kidney function. Kidney functions may be monitored for a week or two to determine if there is any damage.

Safeguards

Since borax can be found in household chemicals that are needed for cleaning, you need to dog proof your chemicals and monitor the area to make sure the animal does not have access to the chemicals.

Make sure the chemical bottles are not leaking and out of your dog's reach.

When using pesticides, make sure the dogs are out of the area until long after the chemical dries and the fumes dissipate. Dogs can even be affected by the fumes

Loading ...

About the Author

Mal Van Valkenburg has been a journalist since 1986 and is working in Nevada. He was the sports editor of the "Niagara Gazette" in Niagara Falls, N.Y. During this time, he covered such events as the Super Bowl, World Series, NCAA basketball, Buffalo Bills and the NHL. Valkenburg holds a Bachelor of Arts in mass communications at the University of South Florida.

Loading ...