Installing seats in your aluminium boat is a simple upgrade that will increase your comfort while on the water. Seats provide cushion and back support that the benches in an aluminium boat do not, thereby helping to fight off fatigue and allowing you to enjoy more hours on the water.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Tape measure
- Seat with mounting hardware
- Crescent wrench
- Boat seat swivel clamp
Decide how many seats you will be installing in your aluminium boat by using a tape measure to determine the minimum clearance needed to allow each seat to swivel without obstruction. Do this by measuring the underside of the chair from the centre to its farthest point. For example, if the measurement is 7 inches, you will need to allow more than 7 inches from the centre of where the seat will be mounted to the nearest obstruction for the seat to be able to swivel 360 degrees.
Draw a small circle on the aluminium bench for each seat you intend to mount. The circle represents the centre of the seat. Be sure to accommodate for your swivel measurements.
Mount each seat to a boat seat swivel clamp using the mounting hardware and following the directions provided by the seat manufacturer. Using a boat seat swivel clamp is beneficial because, unlike drilling through the aluminium bench, it allows you to mount the seat to the boat without doing any damage.
Place a boat seat swivel clamp with chair upon an aluminium bench, being sure to centre it over one of the small circles you drew in Step 2.
Tighten down the boat seat swivel clamp by turning the four wing nuts, two on each side of the clamp, securing the clamp and seat in place.
Repeat Steps 4 and 5 for each remaining seat.
Tips and warnings
- Sit in each seat while the boat is secured to the trailer before venturing into the water to make sure each boat seat swivel clamp is secure.
- Do not over-tighten the wing nuts in the boat seat swivel clamp. Doing so will cause damage to the aluminium bench.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for