If you're looking for a budget-friendly way to create a large decoration for any celebration, you may want to learn how to make topiary trees out of balloons. Balloons can give you the same full shape as a floral topiary, but one balloon costs far less and uses more space than one rose. To create a balloon topiary tree, you need a wood or acrylic pole about 2.5 cm (1 inch) thick and 90 cm (3 feet) tall. You'll also need some sort of floral foam created for floral arrangements and a plant pot at least 25 cm (10 inches) tall.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Floral foam
- Heavy decorative plant pot
- Craft glue
- Wood pole, 90 cm (3 feet) tall
- Silky lilac ribbon, 2.5 cm (1 inch) wide
- Cream decorative stones, 1.3 cm (1/2 inch)
- Cream and purple latex oval balloons, large
Create the base of the latex balloon topiary tree by cutting the floral foam about 15 cm (6 inches) thick and whatever shape needed to fit into the bottom of the plant pot. Glue the foam in the plant pot and let dry.
Cover the bottom of the wood pole with craft glue. Push the bottom of the pole into the centre of the foam so that the pole hits the inner-bottom of the plant pot. Make sure the pole is secure and sticks straight up from the centre of the pot to create the trunk of the balloon topiary tree. Let dry.
Take the lilac ribbon and glue one end to the base of the pole, Wrap the ribbon tightly up the pole to the top. Make sure the ribbon covers the wood completely. Cut and glue the ribbon. Let dry.
Cut a long piece of lilac ribbon and wrap it around the pot rim. Tie the ribbon in a medium-sized bow and trim the ends as needed. Fill the balloon topiary tree pot with cream decorative stones, stopping about 1.3 cm (1/2 inch) from the pot rim.
Blow up the cream and purple decorated latex balloons with air. Take two inflated balloons and tie the mouths/necks together. Repeat the process until you have six sets of two balloons for the balloon topiary tree.
Cut a long piece of lilac ribbon and set it right next to you. Hold the knots of one balloon set between your fingers. Add another balloon set turned 90 degrees. Loop and tie the ribbon tightly around the middle of the latex balloons to secure. Add a third balloon set, turned 90 degrees from the second set, and tie with the ribbon to secure. Repeat the process until you create a ball-shape cluster of latex balloons.
Tie the balloon-attached ribbon tightly around the top of the pole so that the latex balloons appear to be sprouting from the trunk of the balloon topiary tree like a floral bouquet. Tie the ribbon into a large bow and trim the ends as needed.
Tips and warnings
- To create an elaborate balloon topiary tree, stuff sheer, silver and gold patterned latex balloons with small, solid, red balloons. Add some red decorative stones and silver/gold ribbon. If you need a softer style, such as a baby shower balloon topiary tree, use pink and blue latex balloons with white decorative stones and yellow ribbon.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for