Citronella repels insects naturally. Commercial insect repellents contain harmful chemicals that can irritate the skin and harm the environment. You can make your own citronella spray to take with you so that you always have it on hand. Citronella essential oil comes from the leaves and stems of the citronella plant, which you can purchase at most outdoor or craft stores. The odour is what repels the insects to keep them away temporarily.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- 1 cup distilled water
- Spray bottle
- 3 tbsp citronella oil
- 1 tbsp eucalyptus oil
- 2 cups vinegar
Pour 1 cup of distilled water into a spray bottle. Distilled water does not contain minerals and impurities, which can interfere with the essential oils.
Add 3 tablespoons of citronella oil, 1 tablespoon of eucalyptus oil and 2 cups of vinegar to the spray bottle. Shake the bottle well to mix the ingredients.
Spray the repellent onto plants, yourself or your animals. This keeps insects away temporarily. When the insects start to return, you'll need to apply another coat.
Tips and warnings
- Add more citronella oil to make a stronger repellent.
- Wash the solution off immediately if irritation occurs.
- Avoid spraying the repellent onto your face or your pet's face.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for