Providing a whelping box for a mother dog and her puppies will help keep them safe and secure. The whelping box will act as delivery room and nursery. The puppies will be safely enclosed in a location free of objects that might hurt them, and the mother dog will relax knowing her puppies are safe. Building your own whelping box will save money and allow for customisation.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 4x8-foot sheet of 3/4-inch plywood
- 1x4-foot board
- contact paper
- staple gun
- bedding material
Cut the plywood into two 4-foot square pieces. Cut one of the pieces into three 16-inch sections. The sections will be three sides of the box and the 4 foot by 4 foot piece will be the bottom.
The board will be the front of the box. It should be tall enough that puppies cannot climb out, but low enough the mother dog can step over it. If your dog can't easily step over a 12-inch board, cut a lower section near the centre.
Cover one side of the plywood pieces and the board with contact paper. Wrap the contact paper over the cut edges of the wood. Use a staple gun to secure the contact paper to the outside.
Nail the three sides of the box to the base. Nail the board to the base on the side that remains open. If you cut a lower section, make sure the cut end is up.
Layer newspaper on the bottom of the whelping box. Cover the newspaper with bedding material.
Tips and warnings
- If you want to use a crash barrier, add 2x4-foot railing around the inside of the box 4 to 5 inches above the ground.
- Prepare the whelping box at least a week before the puppies are born to allow the mother sleep in it and make it her bed.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for