Ants can be frustrating little bugs, they can colonise around your home and even find ways in. One of the most frustrating things about ants is their bite. While mildly harmless to those not allergic, ant bites are no stranger to infection and knowing how to treat them can help get rid of these itchy ailments.
Wash the Area
The first step in treating an infected ant bite is keeping the bite clean. Wash it with antibacterial soap and warm water at least three times a day. Then apply hydrogen peroxide to further disinfect the area. Again do this at least three times a day, following a good wash.
An important step in treating an infected bite is antibiotic ointment. This will help keep bacteria away, and fight any remaining bacteria, as your bite starts to heal. Use an over-the-counter antibiotic ointment or see your doctor for a prescription. If an over-the-counter ointment does not seem to be working, you may need a prescription.
Do Not Scratch
One integral rule to treating an infected bite is to avoid itching, picking or touching the infected area around the bite. This can cause more bacteria to come into contact with the bite and lead to further infection, as well as prolong the healing process. Take an antihistamine to help alleviate the itch and reduce redness. Also apply a gauze or bandage to the bite to help stop the temptation to scratch.
For a safe, immediate way to temporarily relieve itchiness associated with an infected ant bite, you can try applying a baking soda paste, which will help relieve the sting. Mix 3 to 4 tsp of baking soda with cold water, making it into a thick paste. Apply the paste to infected stings and let dry, then rinse with cool water. This should help relieve some of the pain of an infected bite while you wait for it to heal.
If your bite does not improve, or worsens after a few days of home treatment, make a trip to your doctor as you may need further treatment to heal the bite.
If the bite worsens and you begin to feel symptoms of illness such as fever, headache, stiff neck or vomiting, seek medical help immediately.
Call your doctor if you receive a bite to the ear, as bites to the ear are more susceptible to infection because of cartilage.
Bites in infants and babies are always more dangerous, as they can have a more sensitive reaction, so make sure you monitor the bite closely and call your doctor if you have any questions or concerns.