Humidifiers offer relief for the congestion associated with cold, allergy, flu or respiratory infections by adding moisture to dry air. The added moisture helps to break up mucus in the chest, making it easier to breathe. Vicks VapoRub, often called Vicks salve, is also very effective at suppressing symptoms. Vicks ointment is comprised of menthol, camphor and eucalyptus oils.These oils release vapours that have a cooling effect and make nasal passages feel more open. You can easily make a homemade humidifier with Vicks salve at very little cost and enjoy its therapeutic benefits.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Large pot
- Vicks VapoRub
Fill a large pot almost to the top with water.
Place the pot of water onto the stove and heat until it reaches a rapid boil.
Shut off the stove.
Use the spoon to scoop a generous amount of Vicks salve and mix it into the pot of hot water.
Bring the pot of hot water into any room of the house or allow the pot to simmer on the stove until all of the water has evaporated.
Tips and warnings
- The pot of steamy water and Vicks salve may be poured into an electric slow cooker. The cooker should be uncovered so it can release the evaporated water into the air.
- Never leave a hot pot of water unsupervised or in the reach of a child. Do not misuse Vicks salve and consult a paediatrician before a humidifier with Vicks is used with children 2 years or younger. Warm humidifiers have the potential to harbour dust mites, bacteria and mould growth. Dispose of the water and thoroughly clean the pot after each use.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for