DISCOVER
×

How to Get Rid of Mold

Video transcription

Mold is a fungus that grows everywhere oxygen and moisture are present, including inside your home. Under the right conditions, mold can grow rampant, attaching to your walls, furniture, or rugs. Mold is not only unsightly, but poses a health risk to your family. So, it's important to know how to get rid of this harmful organism. First and foremost, find out where mold is growing in your home. Mold may appear in a variety of colors, but it can always be identified by its strong, earthy, musty odor. Determine the source of the mold, and fix the problem before it worsens. Know that mold will thrive in damp places, so that the source of the problem could be because of a plumbing leak or a hole in the roof. If the water source remains present, the mold will continue to grow. Seal any cracks or crevices you find with silicone caulk. If you do discover plumbing leaks, repair the drain and water lines as necessary. If you find mold in the bathroom, you will want to install a vent fan. If you already have a fan installed, make sure you operate the fan when showering or bathing. To eradicate the mold in your home, use a spray bottle with plain white vinegar. Fill up a separate container like a bucket with tap water. Vinegar will cut through mold as well as bleach will, so spray the molded area heavily, and let it sit for 10 minutes. Rinse the mold away with a wet rag, and then dry the area thoroughly. For carpets and rugs, try sprinkling backing soda into the affected spots. Let the baking soda sit for several hours, then vacuum vigorously, and empty the vacuum outdoors. Mold can really affect those who suffer from allergies and respiratory issues, so, whether you suspect it or not, use a dehumidifier in your home. Removing the dampness that helps mold thrive will help you prevent future mold growth. Thanks for watching.

Loading ...