When painting a landscape in acrylic paints, it is best to apply broad layers of color for the background before adding in the foreground details. Create a sweeping landscape on canvas with a demonstration from an award-winning artist in this free video on painting with acrylics.
Hello, I'm Jacklyn Laflamme. I'm a professional artist with JacklynLaflamme.com. In this clip, I'm going to show you how to paint a landscape with acrylics. You will need a canvas. You will need acrylic paint. You will need paintbrushes. We're going to start off with some nice, big, long strokes just along the bottom. When you're creating a landscape, you want to really think about laying down the background first, and getting nice long strokes for all the background color. So, we're going to add some green just to the bottom. Then, we're going to start off adding a little bit of blue to the top where your sky would come in, and you see I'm just doing nice, big, long strokes. I'm going to take a little bit of white, and just to create the illusion of the sky. You can always go back later and add a little bit more detail. Alright, and once you get your background colors laid in, you can go in and start filling in the foreground. So, if we wanted to paint some flowers in the landscape, you would just take a little brush and just start filling in what you want in the foreground, and maybe we'd want to just take a little bit of brown here, and you might want to have some trees. So, we'll just start painting the trees in, and you can just do the branches and pull them up like this. Then, we can take another brush here and just start filling in the trees really quickly. But, you see how we're laying the elements in the foreground over the background. You want to make sure that you paint in that background so that once you put in your designs, you're not having to go back and fill that in. So again, just some little green trees here, just like that, and you can always go back in and add a little bit of white to the clouds and work those details. So, you want to just keep working in this manner, building up from the background to the foreground, and eventually you will have a beautiful landscape. This is Jacklyn Laflamme. Thank you for watching.
- Acrylic Painting Techniques : Brush Types for Acrylic Painting
- Acrylic Painting Techniques : How to Prepare Your Canvas
- Acrylic Painting Techniques : Painting Techniques for Acrylic Artists
- Acrylic Painting Techniques : Painting With Dots
- Acrylic Painting Techniques : Winter Landscape
- Acrylic Painting Techniques : Acrylic Painting Tips
- Acrylic Painting Techniques : How to Paint Portraits in Acrylic
- Acrylic Painting Techniques : How to Paint Water
- Acrylic Painting Techniques : Watercolor & Oil Effects With Acrylic Paint
- Acrylic Painting Techniques : Painting a Landscape in Acrylic
- Acrylic Painting Techniques : How to Paint Leaves & Flowers