Hitting down on the ball is a misnomer, because your body should actually be heading slightly upwards while your hands are still cocked. Learn how to hit down on the ball with help from a professional golf instructor in this free video on golf swings.
Hello, my name is Conan Elliott and I'm Director of Instruction here at Camas Meadows Golf Club in Camas, Washington. Today we're going to talk about how to hit down on a golf ball. The materials we need for this is naturally a golf ball and an iron club. We don't truly hit down with our body; that's kind of a misnomer a little bit. The fact that what happens is our club or our hands reacts in the down swing and the club head travels down. Actually in a good golf swing, we were headed slightly up with our knees, hips and shoulders as we strike the ball. So, the key to that; to hitting down and taking a divot after you strike the ball is keeping those hands cocked. So, when I go to the top of my back swing, I got to make sure I keep my hands quiet and locked in this position so my club head stays up high. It's called lag. As long as I lag the golf club; as I start in, I'll actually be headed up. But my hands were on cocked and the club will travel on a downward path; strike the ball; ball will go in the air and then take a divot afterwards. So, the key isn't that I try to go down. I don't ever want to try to hit down with my body into the ground. I want to keep my hands cocked, create a lag; so the club strikes down and takes a divot. It comes in steeper. So, that's the key. Let's see if we can make that work. So, my club came in; came to the ground; it came down. I was headed up; my hands un-cocked, the club went down; struck the ball then took the divot after the golf ball. This is Conan Elliott and that's how to hit down on a golf ball.
- How to Hit Golf Ball With a Draw
- How to Hit a Golf Ball Lower
- How to Hit a Golf Ball With Irons
- How to Hit Down on a Golf Ball
- How to Hit a Fade in Golf
- How to Hit a Golf Ball Higher
- How to Hit a Golf Ball Straight Every Time
- How to Hit a Golf Ball Farther
- How to Turn the Right Shoulder Correctly Out of the Way During the Golf Back Swing
- How to Repeat a Good Golf Swing
- How to Improve My Golf Swing
- How to Keep Knees Flexed in the Golf Swing
- What Should the Arms Do in a Golf Swing?
- Basics of a Golf Swing
- Golf Swing Problems
- How to Create Lag in a Golf Swing
- Slowing a Golf Back Swing
- How to Increase Swing Speed in Golf
- How to Perform a One-Piece Takeaway Golf Swing
- How to Stop Blocking Shots in a Golf Swing