When someone is poisoned by carbon dioxide, they should be moved to fresh air and taken to an emergency room as quickly as possible. Get oxygen to a person suffering from carbon dioxide poisoning with tips from a street firefighter in this free video on first aid and medical emergencies.
You know at some point in time all of us may experience carbon monoxide poisoning or encounter someone who was overcome with carbon monoxide. The causes are many. The symptoms can present themselves in various ways. Hi, I'm Captain Joe Bruni, and what I want to talk about is how to treat the individual who experiences carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide bonds to the red blood cells, or hemoglobin, two hundred times faster than oxygen, and once bonded to the red blood cells does not permit oxygen to enter into the red blood cell. The quickest course of action is to remove the patient to fresh air. The signs and symptoms may include fatigue, delirium, or extreme headache. If you suspect someone is experiencing carbon monoxide poisoning remove them to fresh air, activate the emergency response system to get help in route that will have compressed oxygen to be delivered. It is also necessary that the person be taken to the local emergency room or to their doctor's office as pure oxygen will need to be delivered to get back into the system and replace the carbon monoxide that happens to be bonded to the red blood cells. Carbon monoxide poisoning can be a damaging event to the brain that will last a lifetime. I'm Captain Joe Bruni, stay safe, and we'll see you next time.