Backing up files on an external hard drive allows you to restore a computer after data is damaged or lost by recovering the files from the secondary drive. Use an external hard drive for backup with an IT specialist in this free video on computer hard drives.
Hi, my name is Dave Andrews, today I'm going to show you how to back up and restore files to an external hard drive. I have here with me an external USB hard drive, it's about two hundred and fifty gigabytes. This is good enough to store most of the pictures that you might have from family vacations, any music files that you want to keep track of, any work documents that you want to make sure don't get lost. A good size for an external hard drive is about two hundred and fifty gigabytes for the average user. They make them up to five hundred gigabytes. All I have to do is plug in a USB cable, and power, I'm going to turn the device on. The computer is going to recognize that I've turned on a device, and a way that you can tell is by going to the - you'll see - first of all it'll pop up these, just like you've plugged in the removable thumb drive, it's going to ask you what you want to do with it. What I want to do is just open the folder to view the files. And here are the files that are stored on that removable hard drive. To copy files to the hard drive, do just like you normally would. I'm going to grab this music file. I'm going to just drag it over onto my hard drive. Let's just copy that file to my hard drive. Instead of being stored on my computer now, it's stored on the removable drive. I can close this, turn the device off, unplug it, and store it in the closet. Let's say it is now six months later and I want to restore that file. I would plug it in, turn it on, click on start, go back to my computer, and we're going to see here my hard drive, and there is the music file that I copied there once before. To restore it I just copy and paste it back onto my desk top. This is a very easy tool to use to back up your documents. My name is Dave Andrews and I've just showed you how to back up and restore files using an external hard drive.
- How to Speed Up Windows When You Open My Computer
- How to Trace an IP Address to a Physical Address
- How to Backup & Restore Files with an External Hard Drive
- How to Access your PC if you Forget Your Administrative Password
- How to Create a Report in Microsoft Access
- How to Screen Print
- How to Set Up a Home Server
- How to Add Background Music to a PowerPoint Presentation
- How to Password-Protect Your Computer
- How to Delete a Print Job
- How to Use a Computer to Transfer LPs to CDs
- How to Set Up Shortcut Keys in Microsoft Word
- How to Run a PowerPoint Slide Show