Tracing the IP address of a computer connection to a physical address is a simple trick that uses the Trace Route, or 'tracert' program, to find a city name. Track IP addresses with an IT specialist in this free video on computer IP addresses.
Hi, my name is Dave Andrews. Today I'm going to show you how to trace an IP to a physical location. Let's go to the computer, and say I want to find out the physical location of my own website. To do so, click on the "Start" button down at the bottom which is this round button, and open up a command prompt. To find out the IP address of my website type "NSLookup", and then type the address that you want to look up. We've gotten a response that is 184.108.40.206. Type "Exit" to close the NSLookup program. Now we want to trace this IP to it's physical location. To do so, we run the trace route program which is "tracert" for "trace route". Type a space and then type the IP that you want to look up, and press "Enter". It's going to begin tracing the routes to your website, and as it gets down to the later number of hops, it's going to start returning city names such as Atlanta, New York, and that is how you're going to find out the physical location of your IP address. My name is Dave Andrews and I've just shown you how to trace an IP address to a physical location.
- How to Trace an IP Address to a Physical Address
- How to Backup & Restore Files with an External Hard Drive
- How to Speed Up Windows When You Open My Computer
- How to Access your PC if you Forget Your Administrative Password
- How to Create a Report in Microsoft Access
- How to Set Up a Home Server
- How to Add Background Music to a PowerPoint Presentation
- How to Screen Print
- How to Password-Protect Your Computer
- How to Delete a Print Job
- How to Use a Computer to Transfer LPs to CDs
- How to Set Up Shortcut Keys in Microsoft Word
- How to Run a PowerPoint Slide Show