Cats can get poisoned by eating things that they shouldn't, such as plants or medications. Look for vomiting and unstable walking as signs of a cat that's been poisoned with help from a staff veterinarian in this free video on cat health and pet care.
Let's talk about poisonings in cats and what those symptoms can be or signs. Cats very commonly get into areas they are not supposed to be in. They are also bad about eating plants and things so there are multiple things on Earth that can poison cats and they can all look a little bit differently. We see lots of ingestion of medications, ingestions of plant material, rat poisoning is very common. Unfortunately sometimes people will try to poison other peoples' cats using various things and so the important thing to know if you think there is a poisoning veterinary care and early veterinary care is your best bet. The most common symptoms of a cat that has been poisoned would revolve around the GI system and the neurologic system. Commonly a lot of irritants or poisons, however, that are irritants and you may see salivation or drooling, sometimes vomiting, vomiting foam, smacking the lips that sort of thing. You can also see ataxia which is them being unstable when they walk. They can be falling over which would be a neurologic sign. You can sometimes see dilated or very constricted pupils depending on what toxin was ingested so vomiting and lethargy, falling over, stumbling, stupor, those types of things are very critical when it comes to seeing if it is a cat that has been poisoned. ASPCA Poison Control is a very good place for information if a poison has been suspect or if a human medication has been thought to have been ingested. Always contact your veterinarian first and get them seen as quickly as possible because early intervention with poisonings is going to be the best outcome for your pet.