Learn how to do the haul technique in fly casting and how to best utilize various fly fishing techniques if you're just starting out as a fly fisherman in this free video series.
Hi! I’m Jim Dowd at zoaroutdoor.com. We are here for expertvillage.com, and this session is all about fly casting and what you need to know to sling it out there. In 4 part cast, we made our casting movements and our stops and strokes with just the rod hand. Let me introduce something called the haul with the line hand. What the haul does is gives a tiny little tug just before you make your forward stroke. Just a tiny little tug. And that forces the load of the weight of the fly line into the rod a little more and gives you more acceleration. It is a wonderful thing to use when there is wind, because it drives your loop faster. Faster speed translates into greater efficiency; it also contributes to accuracy. And here’s how you do it. Just a tiny little tug, just before you make your pop stop. A tug, tug, tug, tug. You notice back tug, forward tug. I am doing them together. I am using my hands together. So the haul is something that if you work on 1 at a time, first the back and the forward, will enable you to fish more efficiently and cast farther.
- Learn How to Strike & Set the Hook When Fly Fishing
- Understand the Concept of False Casting When Fly Fishing
- Learn the Haul Technique When Fly Fishing
- Learn to Shoot the Line When Fly Fishing
- Understand Two-Point Line Control When Fly Fishing
- Understand Roll Casting When Fly Fishing
- Understand Line Retrieving & Angling When Fly Fishing
- Understand Cast Stroke Mechanics
- Maintain Proper Thumb Control When Fly Fishing
- How to Read Your Fly Casting Line
- How to Pause to Straighten Out a Fly Casting Line
- How to String a Fishing Rod When Fly Fishing
- Learn the Basic Fly Fishing Cast
- How to Practice Casting When Fly Fishing