Learn about thumb control and how to best utilize various fly fishing techniques if you're just starting out as a fly fisherman in this free video series.
Hi! I’m Jim Dowd at zoaroutdoor.com. We are here for expertvillage.com, and this session is all about fly casting and what you need to know to sling it out there. This segment is aimed at an exclusive target audience: that would be those of you who have an opposable thumb. It’s all about the power of the thumb. Among the things that the power of the thumb does for you in fly casting is that it helps you orient your fly rod with your thumb right on top of the rod. It allows you to stop on your stop position. Notice where the thumb is? This is repetitive but it is worth repeating. Stop, straight up on the back cast and stop at 45 degrees on the forward cast. The other thing the thumb does unfailingly is it guides you to an accurate cast. If you aim your thumb at your target, you will hit your target, so just look down on your thumb when you stop on your stroke. The power of the thumb, it rules. It’s awesome.
- Learn How to Strike & Set the Hook When Fly Fishing
- Understand the Concept of False Casting When Fly Fishing
- Learn the Haul Technique When Fly Fishing
- Learn to Shoot the Line When Fly Fishing
- Understand Two-Point Line Control When Fly Fishing
- Understand Line Retrieving & Angling When Fly Fishing
- Understand Roll Casting When Fly Fishing
- Maintain Proper Thumb Control When Fly Fishing
- Understand Cast Stroke Mechanics
- How to Read Your Fly Casting Line
- How to Pause to Straighten Out a Fly Casting Line
- Learn the Basic Fly Fishing Cast
- How to String a Fishing Rod When Fly Fishing
- How to Practice Casting When Fly Fishing