Lifting a line slowly, accelerating to a stop and pausing are all techniques that can result in a successful fly casting. Learn more in this free video series.
Hi! I’m Jim Dowd at zoaroutdoor.com. We are here for expertvillage.com and this session is all about fly casting and what you need to know to sling it out there. Now we are going to put it all together in the 4 part cast; 1, 2, pause, 3, and 4. What we are doing is lift the line slowly smoothly, accelerate to a stop, pause, accelerate to a stop, pause and follow it down with the rod tip in the water. It is very simple and it all flows together. The pause is important, pause for the line straighten out, the stops are really important. Notice my thumbnail here at the back cast stop and here at the forward cast stop. So what I am doing is lift, stop, stop and follow it down, 1, 2, 3, 4, lift, accelerate, stop, accelerate, stop and follow it down.
- Learn How to Strike & Set the Hook When Fly Fishing
- Understand the Concept of False Casting When Fly Fishing
- Learn to Shoot the Line When Fly Fishing
- Learn the Haul Technique When Fly Fishing
- Understand Two-Point Line Control When Fly Fishing
- Understand Line Retrieving & Angling When Fly Fishing
- Understand Roll Casting When Fly Fishing
- Understand Cast Stroke Mechanics
- Maintain Proper Thumb Control When Fly Fishing
- How to Read Your Fly Casting Line
- How to Pause to Straighten Out a Fly Casting Line
- How to String a Fishing Rod When Fly Fishing
- Learn the Basic Fly Fishing Cast
- How to Practice Casting When Fly Fishing