Understanding football's defensive line: learn the fundamentals of playing defense in American football, including tips and techniques, in this free football beginner guide on video.
I am now going to show you the basic positions for the defensive line and in a separate segment; we will show you the basic positions for the defensive skill positions. For the defensive line, there are two types of defenses. There is one that is called a 3-4 or a 4-3. The 3-4 utilizes two defensive ends played by Madison and Tristan and a nose tackle played by myself. We would line up on the defensive side of the ball and defensive ends would try to attack in a pincher movement to sack the quarterback while the middle is blocked up by the nose tackle. In a 4-3, you would actually have two defensive ends and two defensive tackles, so there would be two middle tackles and two defensive ends, the two tackles block up the middle and stop the run, the two defensive ends primary job is to pass rush and attack the quarterback on passing downs. Those are the primary skill positions for the defensive line for beginning football.
- Defensive Backfield Positions in American Football
- Sacking the Quarterback in American Football
- Defensive Line Positions in American Football
- Kicking & Punting a Football
- How to Throw a Football
- Holding the Ball: Throwing Fundamentals for Football Beginners
- Making the Hand Off in American Football
- Basic Football Blocking Skills
- Snapping the Ball in American Football
- Offensive Positions: Understanding American Football
- How to Score Points with Offense in American Football
- Overview of the Rules of American Football