Terms and Conditions of Use
Effective Date: February 2, 2011
THIS SITE IS INTENDED FOR THE USE OF UK RESIDENTS ONLY. IF YOU ARE NOT A UK RESIDENT, PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS SITE.
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, COMPLAINTS OR COMMENTS ABOUT THE SITE THEN PLEASE CONTACT US ON http://help.ehow.com/home
- DESCRIPTION OF SITE; MINIMUM AGE REQUIREMENT
Our Site is a popular place to find instructions on how to do a variety of things. You and other users of our Site have access to thousands of articles, video files, audio files, and applications that are intended to provide directions on how to do things. Many of these articles, files, and applications are posted by people from around the world, and represent a diversity of perspectives, experience and approaches to issues that may be of interest to you.
In addition to being a place for you to find out how to do things, the Site is also a platform for you to share your ideas with others. In return for our display of any content you provide for any period of time, you agree to grant the licence to Leaf Group described in Section 5 of these Terms. We invite you to comment on eHow articles, as well as submit your own articles and other content for posting.
However, the Site is for general research, informational, and entertainment purposes only. We publish video, audio, articles, or other content from current and past contributors (collectively, "Contributors"). The information on the Site represents only the opinions and perspectives of the Contributors and not us. You should assume that we have not independently verified the accuracy, thoroughness, or relevance of the content available on the Site. Our publication of content is not our endorsement of any Contributor or the content submitted by any such Contributor. Furthermore, we have not verified the identity of each Contributor, and the extent of each Contributor's credentials.
This Site is intended for use by persons who are at least 13 years old. By using the Site, you confirm that you are at least 13 years old and ratify any grant of rights, consents, agreements and waivers made by you. If you choose to set up an Account, your Account may be used only by you.
- MODIFICATIONS TO TERMS
You agree that from time to time we may, at our sole discretion, modify, add or remove any or all parts of these Terms. Such modifications will be effective immediately upon posting of the modified Terms to the Site. Your continued use of the Site following the posting of changes to these Terms will mean that you accept those changes. To update the Terms, we will post both the changed version and its effective date on the Site. As such, we encourage you to check back regularly to review these Terms and any updates to them.
- MODIFICATIONS TO SITE
You may use the Site only when and as available. We reserve the right from time to time to temporarily or permanently modify or discontinue, and restrict or block access to, the Site (or any part thereof) without notice. We may temporarily or permanently modify or remove any part or all of your Content from the Site at any time without any notice to you. We will not be liable to you or any third party for any such modification, suspension, discontinuance or removal and any such action by us will not affect Leaf Group's licence to use your Content as granted to us by you in these Terms.
- POSTING CONTENT ON THE SITE; CONFIRMATION BY YOU
By displaying or publishing ("posting") any content on the Site, including without limitation text, audio, video, pictures, graphics, music, sound clips, images, likenesses, personal information and other works of authorship (collectively, "Content") you confirm that:
- you own all rights in your Content and the performance contained in your Content or, alternatively, you have acquired all necessary rights in your Content to enable you to grant to us the rights in your Content described herein and for us to exercise the rights that you have granted to us with respect to such Content;
- where necessary you have paid and will pay in full any relevant licence fees, clearance fees, and other financial obligations, of any kind, arising from any use or commercial exploitation of your Content;
- you are the individual pictured, depicted, and/or heard in your Content, or, alternatively, you have obtained permission and consent from each person (including consent from parents or guardians for any individual under the age of eighteen (18)) who appears and/or is heard in your Content to grant the rights to us described herein;
- you will make such permissions described in (c) available to us upon request;
- your Content is not defamatory in nature, does not infringe the intellectual property rights, privacy or any other legal or moral rights of any third party;
- if you are a direct competitor of a Contributor or another user, or otherwise have an interest adverse to a Contributor or other user, you will fully disclose the interest;
- you will not stalk, threaten or harass Contributors or other users or infringe upon, invade or attempt to infringe upon or invade their privacy; and
- you will not post any information or material which may constitute or encourage conduct that is a criminal offence or otherwise a breach of any rights or applicable law.
You agree to keep all records necessary to establish that your Content does not violate any of the foregoing provisions and to make such records available upon our request without the violation of any other person's intellectual property or other rights or of any laws or regulations. You acknowledge that the Site does not have any "digital rights management" or other security technology features to restrict someone who receives Content from copying and redistributing it.
To post Content on the Site, you must first complete the Site registration process to create an account with a user name and password (the "Account"). You agree to provide accurate current and complete information during the registration process, when contributing Content or when otherwise using the Site. You also agree that you will review, maintain, correct and update such information in a timely manner to maintain its accuracy and completeness. If you provide any information that does not satisfy this provision, or we have reasonable grounds to suspect as much, we have the right to suspend or terminate your Account and prohibit you from using the Site in the future.
You agree to safeguard your user name and password, and you authorise us to accept any use of the Site through your Account as being used by you or someone authorised to act for you. You agree to be liable for any Content posted using your Account and for any transactions associated with your Account. You agree that we can rely upon the contact and other information that is supplied to us using your Account and that we will rely upon such information. You agree and acknowledge that your Account is non-transferable.
You agree that we may highlight Content that you submit on the Site, such as reviews comments or articles, by featuring such Content on the home page of the Site for example.
When you submit ideas, suggestions, documents, or proposals (collectively, "Submissions") to us through our "Contact Us" web page located at http://help.ehow.com/home, you confirm and agree that: (i) your Submissions do not include confidential or proprietary information; (ii) if we so choose, we may use and disclose your Submissions in any way; and (iii) we have no obligation to pay or reimburse you for your Submissions or any use of your Submissions by us.
- OWNERSHIP OF RIGHTS; LICENCE RIGHTS
You retain ownership of your copyright and other intellectual property and proprietary rights in any Content you post to the Site, subject to the non-exclusive rights that you grant to us as described in these Terms. These Terms do not prevent you from granting similar rights to others.
You hereby grant us a worldwide, royalty-free, freely transferable, freely sublicensable (through unlimited levels of sublicense), non-exclusive licence to use, reproduce, communicate to the public, modify, transmit, distribute, publicly perform and display (including in each case by means of a digital audio transmission), and create derivative works of the Content, in any form, media, or technology now known or later developed. You also hereby waive any moral rights you may have in such Content. You agree that we may (but are not obliged to) display your Content, and your username or your actual name (according to the preferences you select at the time that you register) along with your Content.
You acknowledge that the posting of your Content for any period of time is sufficient consideration for the licence granted herein to us.
You may choose from time to time to remove or modify Content that you previously posted on the Site - if doing so would not interfere with other users’ ability to enjoy the Site. For example, a request to remove your comments or posts from a long string of interactive posts could render the entire thread unintelligible and eliminate the ability of the other users of the Site to read and enjoy that thread. In these situations, we may anonymize your Content so that the threaded conversation remains intact. If, prior to such removal or modification, we have created, or developed specific plans to create, any electronic or printed materials containing such Content (e.g. in advertising, promotion or otherwise), then you agree that we may continue to exploit materials containing such Content after you have removed or modified that Content. However, six (6) months after you have removed or modified that Content, you may send us written notice to cease displaying such Content, in which event we will use commercially reasonable efforts to cease displaying such materials within thirty (30) days of our receipt of such notice. Your written notice to use must be sent to 1655 26th St., Santa Monica, CA 90404, Attn: Copyright Agent, or to email@example.com, and contain the following information:
- your name, address, telephone number, and email address;
- the user name for your Account;
- your electronic or physical signature;
- identification of the specific Content, such as by the title of the article that contained such Content;
- identification of the materials containing the Content in question, including the title and the URL where it may be viewed;
- identification of the approximate date on which you removed or modified the Content contained in such materials;
- a statement that you would like us to cease using such materials containing such Content; and
- your confirmation that you own or have the exclusive rights to such Content.
- PROHIBITED CONTENT
You agree not to post to the Site any Content or any other materials whatsoever that is or could appear to be:
- untrue, misleading, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libellous, invasive to another person's privacy or protected data, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable;
- infringing or alleged to be infringing upon a third party's rights, including any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights of any party, including, without limitation, any Content that is the subject of any third party claim of infringement;
- of a type that you do not have a right to transmit under any law or under contractual or other relationships, such as inside information and confidential information;
- unsolicited, undisclosed or unauthorised advertising;
- software viruses or any other computer code, files, or programs designed to interrupt, destroy, or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment;
- data or information obtained through access that was not authorised by the owner of the data or information, or with respect to which such posting would constitute unauthorised use; or
- in violation of any applicable laws.
- PROHIBITED CONDUCT
You agree not to do, or attempt to do, any of the following, subject to applicable laws:
- access or use the Site in any way that violates or is not in full compliance with any applicable law or regulation, contract, intellectual property rights or constitutes the breach of any other rights, or for any other purpose that is harmful or unintended (by us), or other than in full compliance with these Terms;
- access, tamper with, or use services or areas of the Site that you are not authorised to access;
- alter information on or obtained from the Site;
- tamper with postings, registration information, profiles, submissions or Content of other users;
- use any robot, spider, scraper or other automated means or interface not provided by us to access the Site or extract data or gather or use information, such as email addresses, available from the Site or transmit any unsolicited advertising, "junk mail," "spam," or "chain letters";
- frame any part of the Site, or link to the Site, or otherwise make it look like you have a relationship to us or that we have endorsed you or your Content for any purpose except as expressly permitted in writing by Leaf Group;
- impersonate or misrepresent your affiliation with any person or entity;
- reverse engineer any aspect of the Site or do anything that might discover source code, or bypass or circumvent measures employed to prevent or limit access to any area, content or code of the Site (except as otherwise expressly permitted by law);
- send to or otherwise impact us or the Site (or anything or anyone else) with harmful, illegal, deceptive or disruptive code such as a virus, "spyware," "adware" or other code that could adversely impact the Site or any recipient; or
- take any action which might impose a significant burden (as determined by us) on the Site's infrastructure or computer systems, or otherwise interfere with the ordinary operation of the Site.
- MONITORING OF SITE CONTENT
We are under no obligation to restrict or monitor Site Content in any way. YOU UNDERSTAND AND ACKNOWLEDGE THAT WE DO NOT REGULARLY MONITOR THE ACCURACY OR RELIABILITY OF CONTENT. Notwithstanding this, we reserve the right to modify or remove any Content at any time. Any opinions, advice, statements, services, offers, or other information or Content expressed or made available by third parties, including other users, are those of the respective author(s) or distributor(s) and not of Leaf Group. We neither endorse nor are responsible for the accuracy or reliability of any opinion, advice, information, or statement made on this Site by anyone other than authorised Leaf Group employees acting in their official capacities.
- PROTECTION OF SITE CONTENT
Our Site is protected by intellectual property laws and you agree to respect them. Save as set out below, your use of the Site and its contents grants no rights to you in relation to our intellectual property rights (including without limitation copyright, trademarks, logos, graphics, photographs, animations, videos and text).
We grant you a royalty free, revocable, non-transferable, non-sublicensable, non-exclusive licence of the rights Leaf Group has in the Content, to privately display the Content on your computer for your own personal, non-commercial purposes, and to print a reasonable number of copies of the Content as needed for that use. Except as expressly stated in this paragraph, you may not reproduce, distribute, modify, publicly perform or display, or prepare derivative works of any Content without prior written consent from us or the contributor of the Content or other third-party owner of the rights in that Content (if any). You agree not to reverse engineer any Content consisting of downloadable software, unless specifically authorised by us or the third-party owner of the rights in that Content (if any) or otherwise permitted by law. No commercial use or redistribution of the Site is permitted. Any hyperlink or other re-display of the information on another web site must display the Site on a full-screen and not within a "frame" on the linked or other website.
- TERMINATION OR CANCELLATION
You agree that we may, at any time and at our sole discretion, with or without cause or any notice to you, terminate these Terms, your access to the Site, and/or your Account, or suspend or block your access to the Site. If any law or regulation requires us to provide notice of termination or cancellation, we may give prior or subsequent notice by posting it on the Site or by sending a communication to any address (email or otherwise) that we have for you in our records. You will still be liable for any breaches of these Terms and/or obligations incurred before the Terms end. If you use the Site after termination of these Terms, that use will constitute your agreement to the Terms then posted on the Site.
If your Account or access to the Site is terminated, you may no longer have access to the Content you posted on the Site. In such event, Leaf Group may continue to exploit electronic or printed materials it has created, or developed specific plans to create, that contain such Content according to the terms contained in Section 5 with respect to removal or modification of Content previously posted on the Site.
The provisions entitled "Posting Content on the Site; Confirmation by You," "Ownership of Rights; Licence Rights," "Prohibited Conduct "Termination or Cancellation," "Your Agreement to Compensate Us," "Disclaimer" " Liability," "Copyright Infringement," "Additional Terms," and the Notices regarding trademarks, and copyright ownership still apply even after these Terms have terminated.
- DEALINGS WITH MERCHANTS; LINKS
The Site contains advertisements, offers, or other links to other websites and resources of third parties that we do not control. That information, as well as advertisements, may or may not be or remain wholly accurate. You acknowledge and agree that Leaf Group is not responsible for (i) the availability or accuracy of such sites or resources; or (ii) the content, advertising, or products or services on or available from such sites or resources. The inclusion of any link on the Site does not imply that we endorse the linked site. You use the links at your own risk. Your correspondence or business dealings with, or participation in promotions of, third party merchants or advertisers that are found on or through the Site or which provide links on the Site, including, for example, "click to purchase" and other similar programs, including payment and delivery of related goods or services, and any other terms, conditions, warranties or representations associated with such dealings, are solely between you and such merchant or advertiser. We shall not be liable to you in respect of any loss or damage which you may suffer as a result of using such websites, links and resources or in relation to any dealings with such merchants or advertisers. You agree that you will not involve us in any dispute between you and a third party.
- YOUR AGREEMENT TO COMPENSATE US
Since operation and functionality of the Site depend on factors such as the type of hardware, software, or network you are using, there is a possibility that the Site may not work on your computer, be interrupted or have errors in its operation, or may interfere or even harm the operation of your computer; Leaf Group does not promise the successful operation of the Site on your computer, and we are not liable for any such problems that result from your use of the Site.
MOREOVER, THE SITE MAY CONTAIN ADVICE, OPINIONS, INSTRUCTIONS AND STATEMENTS FROM LEAF GROUP, ITS USERS AND OTHER CONTENT AND INFORMATION PROVIDERS. THIS CONTENT IS INTENDED TO BE USED FOR INFORMATIONAL AND ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY. YOUR USE AND RELIANCE ON THE SITE AND ITS CONTENT IS AT YOUR OWN RISK. WE STRONGLY URGE YOU TO CONSULT A PROFESSIONAL OR SOME OTHER AUTHORITY IN THE APPROPRIATE FIELD BEFORE USING OR RELYING ON ANY OF THE CONTENT. LEAF GROUP MAKES NO PROMISE TO YOU AS TO THE OPERATION OF THE SITE OR THE INFORMATION OR CONTENT INCLUDED ON THE SITE. LEAF GROUP MAKES NO REPRESENTATION TO YOU THAT THE SITE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, ERROR-FREE, VIRUS-FREE, SECURE, OR TIMELY.
YOU HAVE CERTAIN STATUTORY RIGHTS UNDER THE LAW INCLUDING THAT WE WILL PROVIDE SERVICES TO A REASONABLE STANDARD AND WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME. NOTHING IN THESE TERMS IS INTENDED TO AFFECT THOSE STATUTORY RIGHTS.
WE URGE YOU TO KEEP BACKUP COPIES OF CONTENT AND OTHER MATERIAL, IF ANY, THAT YOU MAINTAIN OR USE ON THE SITE.
Without limiting any of the foregoing, Leaf Group makes the following specific disclaimers for the following categories of information:
- INVESTMENT & FINANCIAL INFORMATION:
The Content located on the Site should not be interpreted as financial or investment advice nor should it be interpreted as creating any kind of investment advisor or financial advisor relationship. You should NOT rely upon the financial and investment information or opinions provided herein and you should conduct your own independent research and consult with your personal investment adviser before making an investment or financial decision. You are solely responsible for any investment and financial decisions, omissions or actions you take. Neither Leaf Group, its parent, its affiliates, nor any of their respective agents, employees, information providers or content providers shall have any liability for your financial/investment decisions based upon, or the results obtained from, the Content on the Site.
- MEDICAL & HEALTH INFORMATION:
The Content located on the Site should not be interpreted as medical or health advice. The Content should not be used to diagnose, treat or cure any medical or health condition nor should it be interpreted as creating any kind of doctor-patient or health/medical advisor relationship. You should NOT rely upon the medical, health, dietary, nutritional or other professional information or opinions provided and you should always speak to your personal health care provider before beginning, changing or stopping any medication or any treatment for a health problem. You are solely responsible for any decisions, omissions or actions you take based on choosing to seek or not to seek professional medical care, or choosing or not choosing specific treatments. Neither Leaf Group, its parent, its affiliates, nor any of their respective agents, employees, information providers or content providers shall have any liability for your medical, health, dietary or nutritional decisions based upon, or the results obtained from, the Content on the Site.
- LEGAL INFORMATION:
The Content located on the Site should not be interpreted as legal advice nor should it be interpreted as creating any kind of solicitor-client or legal advisor relationship. You should NOT rely upon the legal information or opinions provided and you should consult with your personal legal adviser; this Site is not a substitute for an in-person consultation with a legal professional, as the applicability of the legal principles discussed on this Site may differ substantially in individual situations. You are solely responsible for any of your legal decisions, actions or omissions you commit. Neither Leaf Group, its parent, its affiliates, nor any of their respective agents, employees, information providers or content providers shall have any liability for your legal decisions based upon, or the results obtained from, the Content on the Site.
- INVESTMENT & FINANCIAL INFORMATION:
WE ACCEPT LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY CAUSED BY OUR NEGLIGENCE OR THAT OF OUR EMPLOYEES OR AGENTS. WE DO NOT SEEK TO EXCLUDE LIABILITY FOR FRAUDULENT MISREPRESENTATION BY US OR OUR EMPLOYEES.
IF WE BREACH THESE TERMS WE SHALL ONLY BE LIABLE FOR LOSSES WHICH ARE A REASONABLY FORSEEBALE CONSEQUENCE OF SUCH A BREACH, UP TO A MAXIMUM OF £1000 (ONE THOUSAND POUNDS). LOSSES ARE FORSEEABLE WHEN THEY COULD BE CONTEMPLATED BY YOU AND US AT THE TIME OF ENTERING INTO THESE TERMS.
IN ANY EVENT WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE AND ACCEPT NO LIABILITY FOR:
LOSSES NOT CAUSED BY OUR BREACH;
INDIRECT LOSSES WHICH ARE A SIDE EFFECT OF THE MAIN LOSS OR DAMAGE AND WHICH ARE NOT REASONABLY FORSEEABLE BY YOU AND US AT THE TIME OF ENTERING INTO THESE TERMS, FOR EXAMPLE, LOSS OF PROFITS OR LOSS OF OPPORTUNITY;
LOSSES INCURRED BY YOU AS A RESULT OF ANY CONTENT YOU MAY POST ON THE SITE; AND
LOSSES INCURRED BY YOU IN RELATION TO YOUR USE OF OR RELIANCE UPON ANY CONTENT ON THE SITE.
- COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT
Leaf Group respects the intellectual property rights of others and requests that the people who use the Site do the same. If you believe that your work has been reproduced and is accessible on the Site in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, you may notify us by providing our copyright agent with the following information in writing:
- the electronic or physical signature of the owner of the copyright or the person authorised to act on the owner's behalf;
- identification of the copyrighted work that you claim has been infringed;
- identification of the material that is claimed to be infringing and information reasonably sufficient to permit Leaf Group to locate the material (for example, by providing a URL to the material);
- your name, address, telephone number, and email address;
- a statement by you that you have a good faith belief that the disputed use is not authorised by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; and
- a statement that the information in your notification is accurate and a statement that you are the copyright owner or are authorised to act on the copyright owner's behalf.
Our designated agent to receive notification of claimed infringement can be reached at:Leaf Group, Ltd.Attn: Copyright Agent1655 26th St.Santa Monica, CA 90404310.395.6249 (fax)firstname.lastname@example.org
It is our policy to terminate in appropriate circumstances any Account for repeated infringement of intellectual property rights, including copyright, and we also reserve the right to terminate an Account for even one instance of infringement.
- CUSTOMER SUPPORT
You acknowledge that we have no obligation to provide you with customer support of any kind. However, we may provide you with customer support from time to time, at our sole discretion, provided that you have created an Account and that you submit your customer support inquiries using such Account.
- NOTICES AND CONTACT INFORMATION
Except as otherwise provided in these Terms, Leaf Group will give you any notices by posting them on the Site. You authorise Leaf Group to send notices (including without limitation legal notices) via electronic mail as well if Leaf Group decides, in its sole discretion, to do so. Since notice of any material change to the Terms will be posted to the Site for at least 30 days, we encourage you to visit the Site at least that often. You agree to check the Site for notices, and that you will be considered to have received a notice when it is made available to you by posting on the Site. Leaf Group may provide notice to any e-mail or other address that you provide during registration. You agree to keep your address current and that notice provided by Leaf Group to the address that you have most recently provided will constitute effective notice. We receive many emails and not all of our employees are trained to deal with every kind of communication. Therefore, with the exception of notices related to copyright infringement and removal of licensed material described in Sections 16 and 5 above, respectively, you agree to send us any notice by mailing it to our address for Legal Notices which is: 1655 26th St., Santa Monica, 90404, U.S.A., Attn: Legal Department.
- ADDITIONAL TERMS
- Compliance with Laws. You are responsible for your compliance with any applicable laws.
- No Agency; No Third Party Beneficiary. No agency, partnership, joint venture, employee-employer or franchisor-franchisee relationship is intended or created by these Terms.
- Severance. If any part of the Terms is Disallowed or found to be ineffective by any court or regulator, the other provisions shall continue to apply.
- Transfer. These Terms are personal to you and you may not transfer your rights or obligations under these Terms without the express written permission of Leaf Group. Any attempt by you to transfer your rights and obligations without our consent shall be null and void. We may wish to transfer our rights and obligations or sub-contract our obligations under these Terms to another legal entity. You agree that we may do so provided that: (i) this will not adversely the standard of service you receive under these Terms; and (ii) in the case of transfer only, after we notify you of the date on which we will transfer our rights and obligations under these Terms to another legal entity, your only rights under or in connection with these Terms will be against the new legal entity and not against us.
- Disputes. We will do our best to resolve any disputes over these Terms. If you wish to take court proceedings against us you must do so within the United Kingdom. If you live in England and Wales the laws of England and Wales shall apply and if you live in Scotland, Scottish law shall apply.
- Limitations on Actions. You agree to promptly notify us of any claim you may have against us within a reasonable time of discovering the problem.
- Paragraph Headings. The paragraph headings in these Terms are included to help make these Terms easier to read and have no binding effect.
- No Waiver. If you breach these Terms and we take no action against you, we will still be entitled to use our rights and remedies in any other situation where you breach these Terms.
Notice Re Trademarks: The trademarks eHow, Leaf Group and all other trademarks listed below or used in the Site are owned or used under license by Leaf Group and its affiliated organizations. The names of third parties and their products mentioned may be their trademarks. you may not use any of the above or other trademarks displayed on this Site or in any Site content. All rights are reserved.
Notice Re Copyright Ownership: 2017 © Leaf Group, Ltd. U.S.A. All rights reserved. All content on the Site is subject to intellectual property rights, contractual or other protection. The intellectual property rights are owned by us or our licensors. No content may be copied, distributed, republished, uploaded, posted or transmitted in any way except as provided expressly in the Terms or with our prior express written consent. Modification or use of the materials for any other purpose may violate intellectual property rights.
FURTHER INFORMATION: If you have a complaint, you may contact us at Leaf Group, Ltd (not eHow, Inc), Attn: Legal Department, 1655 26th St., Santa Monica, CA 90404, USA, email@example.com.