Can Drinking Vinegar Be Bad for You?

Written by john heller
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Pin
  • Email
Can Drinking Vinegar Be Bad for You?
Vinegar is great for cooking and bottling fruit. (bottled vinegar apricots image by Leticia Wilson from Fotolia.com)

Vinegar is a delicious component in many dishes such as salad dressing, chilli and condiments like malt vinegar. A commonly used food substance, vinegar has many prolific uses. However, the active ingredient in vinegar is a type of acid, which can be harmful at high doses.

Other People Are Reading

Features

The active ingredient that gives vinegar its taste is acetic acid. Acetic acid is formed when specific bacteria oxidise ethyl alcohol. Acetic acid is a common solvent used for antiseptic and cleaning purposes. In low doses, however, it is safe to consume as a food product.

Warning

The 50 per cent lethal oral dose, or the amount that will kill half the people who consume it, of acetic acid is about 3,310 milligrams per kilogram of body weight. So a person that weighs 69.9 Kilogram would need to consume half a pound of acetic acid. Most vinegar is less than 10 per cent acetic acid by volume, so you would have to consume over a half a gallon of vinegar to reach a potentially lethal dose.

Considerations

The consuming of large amounts of vinegar has been linked to many internal maladies such as rupture of red blood cells, kidney failure, severe internal burns, hyperreninemia, hypokalemia and osteoporosis.

Don't Miss

Filter:
  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
Sort:
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the eHow.co.uk site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.