Safety rules for water in the home

Updated April 17, 2017

Water is essential for survival, but it also can be dangerous under certain conditions, even inside your home. Water sources such as bathtubs, buckets and toilet bowls are potentially hazardous. Drowning, even inside the home, is a leading cause of accidental death for children. Drinking water can become contaminated, and water can trigger electric shock when it's near electric cords. Observe safety rules to protect your family.


If you have children or animals at your house, keep your toilet locked when it is not in use. As the Safety Education website points out, "Drowning is a silent killer, rarely giving off any warning sounds." According to the website, all it takes is an inch of water for a toddler to drown. Fish tanks and buckets of water pose the same hazard, so keep them out of reach of young children and pets.


You should always remain in the room when your child is taking a bath. As the Home Safety Council advises, never leave a young child unsupervised at any time during the bath, even if you have child bath-safety seats. Do not place older children in charge of the younger ones in the bathtub.

Drinking Water

According to the Wisconsin Department of Health Services, you need to protect your home's water supply by disposing of motor oil, pesticides and other poisonous chemicals only at a toxic substances disposal centre. Do not let any of these substances come in contact with your lawn, because they could contaminate your drinking water. Contact your local health department if you notice a change in your tap water's taste, odour or colour. Also, if you encounter a "Boil Water" warning on your radio, TV or local environmental safety website, take it seriously.

Scalding Hazards

Invest in a thermometer to check water temperatures. As the Home Water Safety Council website says, make sure your water is no hotter than 48.9 degrees Celsius. Over 48.9 degrees C, the water could scald you or your child. Set the temperature on your water heater so that the highest temperature it can possibly reach is 120.


Do not leave electrical appliances near water. Electric shock can result if the cords touch water, whether it's in the sink or a spill on the counter. Store all appliances in a safe place away from wet areas. Dispose of any appliance with exposed wires. Report any downed wires in flooded areas around your home to your electric company.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article

About the Author

Angus Koolbreeze has been a freelance writer since 2007. He has been published in a variety of venues, including "He Reigns Magazine" and online publications. Koolbreeze has a Master of Arts in English from Western Michigan University.