Residential Roofing Grants

Written by rod howell | 13/05/2017
Residential Roofing Grants
Roof construction projects can be financed by grants. (roof image by Eldin Muratovic from

There are programs available that sponsor grants to construct and renovate roofs on residential homes and buildings. Grants are used to purchase equipment and materials as well as to pay for labour and administrative expenses. These grants are generally not required to be repaid; however, some grant programs can recoup funds if the recipients fail to satisfy the terms of their grant agreements.

Very Low-Income Housing Repair Program

The Department of Agriculture sponsors the Very Low-Income Housing Repair Program. Grants from this program are used to eradicate safety and health hazards from homes and housing units. Funds are also used to finance home renovation and modification projects as a result of hazard removals. Applicants who are applying must be 62 years of age or older and prove they cannot afford loan obligations. Grant amounts can reach £4,875. Recipients are not able to sell their homes for three years or the grant money can be recouped by the funding program.

Housing and Community Facilities Programs National Office

U.S. Department of Agriculture

Room 5014, South Building

14th Street and Independence Avenue SW

Washington, DC 20250


Neighbourhood Stabilization Program

Grants to fix residential roofs and other home renovation projects are covered under the Neighborhood Stabilization Program (NSP). Sponsored by the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), NSP grants are used to demolish uninhabitable structures, purchase and rehabilitate residential homes and buildings and establish land banks for foreclosed homes. State and local government agencies are eligible to apply for these grants. At least 25 per cent of the grant amount must be used to acquire and renovate foreclosed and abandoned homes that are to be occupied by low-income families.

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development

451 7th Street SW

Washington, DC 20410


Housing Preservation Grant Program

Homeowners, rental property and co-op managers and landlords can apply for grants to renovate and fix their homes and housing units through the Housing Preservation Grant (HPG) program. Funded by the Department of Agriculture (USDA), grants are given to applicants who live in communities of less than 20,000 residents. Non-profit organisations, state, local and tribal government agencies are eligible grant sponsors. Funds from the grant program must be used within two years by the recipients.

Housing and Community Facilities Programs National Office

U.S. Department of Agriculture

Room 5014 South Building

14th Street and Independence Ave. SW

Washington, DC 20250


  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.