Grants for Building Restoration

Updated December 15, 2016

Both private and government entities provide grants to restore residential and commercial buildings around the country. Funds are used to cover the costs of the restoration projects, such as purchasing tools and equipment as well as foreclosed and abandoned buildings. These building restoration grants do not have to be repaid by the recipients.

Main Street Grants

Main Street Grants are funded by the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). These grants are used to renovate, restore and preserve old buildings in a community’s ‘historical’ districts as well as convert unoccupied office buildings into affordable rental homes. Local government agencies can apply for these grants. Communities with populations of less than 50,000 residents and fewer than 100 public housing units are eligible to receive funds from this grant.

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development

451 7th Street SW

Room 4130

Washington, D.C. 20410


Affordable Housing Built Responsibly

The Home Depot sponsors the Affordable Housing Built Responsibly program, which provides grants to support the production, restoration and preservation of affordable homes. Grants of up to £1,625 are used to purchase tools and equipment to carry out approved housing projects. Eligible applicants include non-profit organisations, state schools and public service agencies.

The Home Depot Foundation

2455 Paces Ferry Road

Atlanta, GA 30339


Neighbourhood Stabilization Program

The Neighborhood Stabilization Program (NSP) provides grants to revitalise communities around the country that have been hit by foreclosed and abandoned homes. Grants from this program are used to demolish structures as well as to purchase and restore existing residential homes and buildings. Funds are also used to redevelop vacant properties and establish land banks for foreclosed homes, with the requirement that 25 per cent of grants be used to purchase abandoned and foreclosed homes and restore them for occupation by low income families. State and local government agencies can apply for these grants.

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development

451 7th Street SW

Washington, D.C. 20410


Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article

About the Author