Roof Replacement Grants

Updated April 17, 2017

Depending on materials, the home's square footage and the roof's pitch, replacing a roof can cost from a couple of thousand dollars to tens of thousands. Those who need assistance with repairs can turn to several government grants.

Department of Human Services

Your local Department of Human Services might be able to provide assistance in replacing your home's roof. Applicants for financial aid up to £975 must be permanent residents of the home by being owners or purchasers. The home must not be up for sale or at risk of being lost by the owner. Repairs are only approved if they are essential to make the home liveable. A Department of Human Services specialist can determine your eligibility for the program at your local office.

Neighbourhood Stabilization Program

Under the Housing and Economic Recovery Act of 2008's Neighborhood Stabilization Program, more than 360 communities across the nation were awarded £3.8 billion to buy and fix foreclosed or abandoned homes and redevelop demolished or vacant properties. Home buyers might receive money from recipients of Neighborhood Stabilization Program funds, but not directly from the department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).

USDA Rural Development Grant

Low-income homeowners 62 years old and older in rural areas may apply for a U.S. Department of Agriculture grant to repair their homes. Funding, up to £4,875, may only be used to make a dwelling habitable or to provide access to a member of the household with disabilities. If the property is sold in less than three years, grant funds might be seized.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article

About the Author

Myriam Beltran has been writing professionally since 2004. She started her real-world training as an intern at "El Reportero" in San Francisco, then became a reporter at "The River News-Herald." She then migrated to the Bay Area News Group copy desk and now resides in Michigan. She holds a Bachelor of Arts in mass communications and sociology from the University of California-Berkeley.