Grass seed, whether from native and wild grasses or from a newly planted lawn, can pose dangers for dogs and other pets. Typical backyard dangers include seeds entering the dog's nose, ears and skin or problems caused by ingestion.
Grass Seed Dangers
Grass seeds prove dangerous to dogs primarily based on their shape and size. Since dogs frequently sniff the ground, seeds are easily sniffed into nasal passages or are inhaled into the lungs of an interested dog. They can also work their way into the dog's skin once caught in the dog's paws or coat. Due to the shape of grass seeds, none are truly dog-safe.
Safe Use of Grass Seed
Cordon off seeded areas away from your dog's reach until the seed germinates. Keep the dog clear of the area on days when wind might blow the grass toward secured areas of the yard and check to make certain the seed has not been deposited into secured areas by birds and wildlife.
Should your dog get into a newly seeded area, carefully examine the dog's nose, ears, mouth, groin, paws and coat as soon as possible. Remove any stray seeds. Seek veterinary care if you suspect that seed has been ingested or inhaled.