Foster Parenting Grants

Updated July 20, 2017

Grants for foster parents and organisations which support foster families are available through foundations, government organisations, and local associations. To find a grant that fits your needs, you will have to review each organisation's grant guidelines.

Freddie Mac Foundation

The Freddie Mac Foundation awards grants to needy foster families. Its focus is on families with limited resources. It favours services that focus on family strengthening and youth development. Grants are available for direct service projects, general operating support, capacity building, public awareness, planning and capital projects. A grant request should fall into one of the following program categories: The Early Years, Elementary School Years, Junior High and High School Years, Children and Families in Crisis, and Public Awareness/Education. While the foundation is located in Virginia, and does tend to favour Virginia-based organisations, they do make annual grants to organisations in other states.

Freddie Mac Foundation 8250 Jones Branch Drive Mail Stop A40 McLean, VA 22102 703-918-8888

Rhode Island Foster Parent Association

Check with your state's foster parent association or other agencies supporting foster families to see if you can find a program offering financial assistance similar to the Enrichment Fund and Teen Grant Programs offered by the Rhode Island Foster Parents Association.

The Enrichment Fund offers grants to youths up to age thirteen who want to participate in activities that promote self esteem, skills or knowledge. They provide up to £227 annually per child so that foster children may do the same activities as other children. Applications are reviewed on a monthly basis.

RIFPA Youth Enrichment The Enrichment Fund 55 South Brow Street East Providence, RI 02914 401-438-3900

Administration for Children and Families

The Administration for Children and Families, which is part of the United States Department of Health and Human Services, works to develop programs to help America's children and their families. There are two ways to view specific grant opportunities offered by the bureau. You can search using a state database or view the departments discretionary awards to find one that suits your needs.

Administration for Children and Families 370 L'Enfant Promenade, S.W. Washington, D.C. 20447 800-424-2246

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article

About the Author

Michelle Santos is a freelance editor, writer, and photographer with a law degree from the University of San Francisco and an undergraduate degree in psychology. Her editor's eye comes from early work as a fiction editor for the award-winning "American River Literary Review," where she also published poems and prose.