A propane tank can be an eyesore in a landscape. It is difficult to mow around and doesn't blend into its surroundings. Painting it a darker colour isn't an option because, according to law, propane tanks must be painted a reflective colour. Planning your landscape around the propane tank and its requirements (access for refilling and maintenance) can turn your eyesore into an attractive focal point.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Propane tank
- Spade, shovel or tiller
- Plants (tall or vining)
Look at the site around your propane tank. Determine the soil type, amount of sun it gets and amount of water available in the area.
Decide what kind of planting will work best in the site, given the conditions. Consider the height the plants will need to be to hide the propane tank. Also keep in mind that the area around the propane tank may be hotter because the tank reflects heat.
Prepare the soil around the propane tank by spading it up or tilling it. Find the underground gas line before you dig anything near the tank.
Plant and maintain the plants you have chosen.
Build a lattice fence around the propane tank if you decide you want to plant climbing plants to camouflage the tank. Leave one side or end open for filling and maintenance.
Drive or set posts in the ground. Be sure you don't hit the underground gas line. If you don't know where this is, contact your propane provider or utility locator.
Wire or tie lattice to the posts.
Plant your climbing plants at the base of the lattice and maintain as necessary.
Tips and warnings
- Some upright plants to consider for camouflaging the propane tank are hollyhocks, cosmos and asters, or shrubs such as lilacs, juniper and photinia.
- Vining plants to consider for hiding a propane tank include honeysuckle, climbing roses, morning glories, sweet peas and grapevine.
- If you want to truly hide your propane tank, burying it is an option. Discuss it with your propane provider.
- Always leave space around the propane tank for maintenance. By law you are not allowed to put a fence or covering over the propane tank.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for