Insulation Grants from the Government

Updated March 23, 2017

The federal government does offer grant funding to insulate a home for energy efficiency and for sound. These grants are not paid directly to the American homeowner. International homeowners in England, Australia, New Zealand and Canada do receive the grants funds as reimbursement for the project. No matter how the funds are paid, these government insulation grants are used to encourage the use of energy-saving insulation in a home.

Low Income Weatherization Grants

Insulation grants in the U.S. are paid to organisations within your community. The organisation screens applicants, and either pays or reimburses for the insulation. These programs usually cover the cost of installing the insulation as well. They are income-based and are only accessible to people who meet the program’s income restrictions. To find the program in your area, look for organisations that offer “weatherization assistance.” You can also call the electric and/gas company for information.

Sound Insulation Grants

The Federal Aviation Administration offers grants to communities for soundproofing homes near an airport. Like the weatherization grants, the sound grant funds are not paid directly to the homeowner. The funds go to the city government for its Noise Compatibility program. The city installs the insulation, and the grant funds are usually just reimbursement. The grant is sometimes issued before the insulation work begins. Call your mayor’s office for more information if you live near an airport.

International Government Insulation Grants

Other nations offer insulation grants for homeowners. The funds are paid directly to the owner in the form of a rebate or reimbursement. Australia’s Energy Efficient Homes Package offers £780 rebates to not only the homeowners, but also tenants who live in homes that are inefficiently insulated. The United Kingdom’s Loft and Cavity Wall Insulation programs are also available to tenants as well as homeowners. Unlike the U.S. programs, these can pay as little as half of the costs of materials. The U.K. grants funds are paid to the tenant or homeowner.

Canadian ecoEnergy Retrofit Homes Program

Canada gives the grant funds directly to the homeowner. The program covers not only insulation, but also complete weatherization of the home. The maximum grant is £3,250. Applicants can apply before having the work done.

U.S. Alternative

Homeowners who do not qualify for the American insulation programs may be eligible for tax credits. Tax credits, like a grant, are not repayable. They also help reduce the homeowner’s tax liability at the end of the year. The credit only reimburses for up to 30 per cent of the costs, excluding installation, up to £975.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article

About the Author

Jonita Davis is freelance writer and marketing consultant. Her work has appeared in various print and online publications, including "The LaPorte County Herald Argus" and Davis also authored the book, "Michigan City Marinas," which covers the history of the Michigan City Port Authority. Davis holds a bachelor's degree in English from Purdue University.