It can be hard for one tractor to pull another tractor stuck in mud or soil. Even four-wheel drive tractors will get stuck from time to time, and it will require more than a strap to pull it free. One of the most successful methods for pulling a tractor out of wet soil or mud is by using round wooden poles that are cut longer than the tractor wheels.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Challenging
Things you need
- Measuring tape
- Wooden poles
- Saw horses
- Chain saw
- Nylon straps
Measure the diameter of one of the rear tractor wheels with a measuring tape. Add three feet to the measurement and write down the number on a notepad.
Place a wooden pole onto two sawhorses. Measure the pole to the exact distance of the wheel measurement plus the three extra feet. Mark the measurement on the pole with a pencil.
Cut the pole across the measurement with a chainsaw. Place the cut pole against the outside of one of the rear wheels. Strap the pole to the wheel with two nylon straps. Place one strap around the top of the pole and the wheel. Place the other strap around the bottom of the pole and the wheel.
Move to the other wheel and repeat the same process. Measure another pole that is three feet longer than the diameter of the wheel and cut it with the chainsaw. Strap the pole to the other rear wheel with two straps.
Climb onto the tractor seat and press in the clutch. Put the transmission shifter into first gear. Crank the tractor's engine. Slowly release the clutch and increase the throttle. As the wheels begin to turn, the poles will make contact with the ground below the soil and enable the tractor to drive out of the wet soil.
Tips and warnings
- The poles that are cut three feet longer than the wheel diameters become a longer extension of the wheels. This process makes it easier for the tractor to drive out of the wet soil or the mud.
- Make sure that the straps are tight against the poles and the wheels. If the strap comes loose, it could cause the pole to rotate upward and hit the driver.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for