Symptoms of Natural Gas Exposure

Written by erika sanders
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Pin
  • Email
Symptoms of Natural Gas Exposure
Service and repair natural gas-burning appliances regularly to make certain there are no leaks and the appliances are working properly. (Thinkstock/Comstock/Getty Images)

Natural gas exposure can occur when appliances, heating systems and pipes in your home leak gas. Natural gas contains chemicals such as methane, ethane, propane, butane and carbon monoxide. The gas is odourless and colourless, which makes detecting a leak difficult. Therefore, a "rotten egg" smell has been added to it for easier detection. Natural gas exposure can cause a variety of symptoms, and in severe cases can cause death.

Other People Are Reading

Low-Level Exposure

A small gas leak in your home can be difficult to detect. Low-level exposure to natural gas can cause mild headaches and a feeling of breathlessness when you exert yourself during physical activities. Headaches and breathlessness can also be caused by a variety of other issues, including allergies or illness. However, if you or other members of your family continuously suffer from mild headaches, you should have your natural gas appliances and pipes checked for leaks as one possible cause.

High-Level or Prolonged Exposure

Prolonged or high-level exposure to natural gas causes flu-like symptoms including severe headaches, tiredness or fatigue, dizziness, and nausea. Victims of exposure might also appear confused, have difficulty remembering things, become irritable and have difficulties with physical coordination. Pets in the home can also demonstrate symptoms of natural gas exposure. If your pet is unusually lethargic or seems ill and members of your family are experiencing any of the listed symptoms, have your natural gas appliances and systems checked right away. If there is a large leak in your home, consider moving to a safe, temporary residence until all necessary repairs are made.

Severe Exposure

In the event of excessively prolonged or sudden exposure to extremely high concentrations of natural gas, you might experience a loss of consciousness. Losing consciousness while being exposed to a natural gas leak is dangerous. The carbon monoxide in the natural gas prevents oxygen from being absorbed into the bloodstream. This not only damages internal organs and tissues, but can cause death. In the event of sudden or severe exposure to natural gas, try to move the victim out of the home and into fresh air as quickly as possible. Call emergency services if the victim is not breathing, is having difficulty breathing or does not regain consciousness once removed from the home.

Prevention

Help prevent harmful exposure to natural gas by installing a carbon monoxide or natural gas detector in your home. These devices will alert you if they detect anything above a certain level of gas in your home's air. Maintain and service all your gas appliances and heating systems regularly to keep them in good and safe working order. Always use your exhaust fan when cooking on a gas stove.

Don't Miss

Filter:
  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
Sort:
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the eHow.co.uk site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.