Even in the cleanest of houses, common household bugs can find a home. There is a variety of household bugs that can create havoc when infesting homes. In addition to doors and windows, these bugs can enter the house through small holes and cracks. Household bugs can cause damage to the house as well as threaten it's residents with diseases and allergies.
Other People Are Reading
Insects that Cause Damage to Wooden Structures
One of the most common bugs that destroy wooden structures is termites. Most lenders commission an inspection on a house for termites before approving a home loan in order to ensure there is no such problem on the property. In order to get rid of termites, leave some beneficial ants in the area, as ants attack termites and make it difficult for the pests to survive. Borate treatment of the wood can also prove to be helpful in getting rid of termites. Another species of wood-destroying insects is wood-boring beetles which feed on wood and its products. Some of the beetles can also bore into plastic, soft metals and plaster. Insecticides containing chlorpyrifos, cypermethrin, cyfluthrin or permethrin are effective in removing beetles from wood.
Household Bugs that Communicate Diseases
Household bugs that are responsible for bringing diseases in our homes are cockroaches, ants and flies. These bugs infest plants and food. Sprinkle turmeric powder around the nest so the ants will not be able to cross the line. The waste and saliva of cockroaches causes allergies. To rid your home of these pests, sprinkle a mixture of baking soda and sugar in the infested areas. Homes can become infested with a variety of flies including fruit flies, house flies, green bottle flies, face flies, stable flies and cluster flies. In order to control flies, set a fly trap inside the house which will draw them to fly in and trap them so that they cannot leave. Also use an insecticide spray to remove any remaining flies in the house.
Household Bugs that Live on Blood Meals
The most common insect in this category is the mosquito. Although they suck a very small amount of blood, they cause post-bite pain and irritation. Some mosquitoes carry diseases like dengue and malaria. There is a wide variety of mosquito repellents in the market. You can also install a mosquito net around your bed. Bed bugs are brown, wingless insects that feed on warm-blooded animals and humans. Other household insects that can sting humans are gnats, deer flies, stable flies, leech, ticks, fleas and head lice.
Household Bugs that Infest our Food
Pantry moths or meal moths infest dry food items like cereals, pet food and grains. They produce larvae which webs over the food, making it unsuitable to be consumed. Carpet beetles are other household insects that infest not only our food, but also woollen fabrics in the house. Other insects including ants, cockroaches and flies roam all over dirty places in the house including toilets and sinks and come back to our food, thus leaving germs and bacteria.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for
- Washington State University; HOUSEHOLD INSECTS and Their Control
- University of California; Household Wood-boring Insects;
- Dr Don; Do Ants Kill Termites?; Don; 2009
- House Flies; How to get Rid of House Flies
- Urban Pest Control Research; Common Household Pests
- Cleveland Museum of National History; Common Insects of Ohio; 2011
- Bitter Root Restoration; Common Pests; 2011
- Fizzy Energy; Insects who will be Happy to Suck your Blood; 2009
- University of Kentucky; Ridding Your Home of Fleas; Mike Potter; 1997
- House Bugs; Homemade Remedies for Getting Rid of House Bugs; 2011
- The Daily Puppy; Types of Bugs in a Household; Tammy Domeier