There are many foods that we eat on a daily basis that we would never think about being poisonous to our pets --- including figs. You should keep figs out of reach from your dog in the house. Those with fig trees in their backyards need to have discipline in picking the figs before they fall to the ground and are accessible to dogs. While allergic reactions to figs are generally minor, it is important that you learn to recognise the side effects that your dog may experience if it becomes poisoned so that you can seek medical care if necessary.
Skin or Mouth Rash
The ficus tree, which produces figs, is a popular indoor and outdoor tree. It is important that you keep these trees out of reach from your dog, as they can cause a skin or mouth rash upon contact with your pet. You can identify this by the red colour that will appear across the point of contact. Your dog may begin scratching the affected area and lose hair there as a result. The rash may worsen under sunlight. If the rash occurs in your dog's mouth, you may notice excessive drooling and foaming.
Itching of Eyes
Figs may produce an allergic reaction affecting your dog's eyes. Eye irritation can occur after consumption or simple physical contact. This reaction is easy to notice. The eyes become bloodshot and watery. Your dog may begin to paw at its eyes, causing further irritation.
Consumption of figs may temporarily affect your dog's respiratory system. Your dog may develop a cough after eating or coming in contact with a fig or ficus plant. This will be recognisable by a raspy cough. It should subside quickly; if it doesn't, seek medical care for your dog.
Wheezing may be a result of a fig or ficus allergy that has affected your dog's respiratory system. Much like a coughing reaction, this should not last long. If it goes on for more than an hour, you should seek medical care. A dog that is wheezing may sound as if it is struggling to breath. A cough may accompany the wheezing.