Can the Place of Birth in a Passport Be Changed?

Updated July 20, 2017

It is a legal requirement that your U.S. passport contains accurate and truthful information. If you notice a mistake in your passport, it is essential that you correct it as soon as possible. If your place of birth is inaccurate on your passport you may apply for a correction of data by filling in the appropriate form and providing supporting documentation.

Determine If You Can Change Your Data

You will need to determine if you are eligible to change your place of birth details. You can download form DS-5504 from the U.S. Department of State website. You need to be able to truthfully check the yes box next to the statement "My identifying information in my most recent U.S. passport book and/or U.S.passport card was printed incorrectly." If this applies to you then it may be possible to change your place of birth details.

Applying For A Data Correction

Form DS-5504 exists so that U.S. passport holders can change their information so it is accurate. It allows applicants to change incorrectly printed identifying information by entering the correct data. When applying to have your identifying information altered, you will need to supply the appropriate documents along with form DS-5504. In this case a valid birth certificate should be appropriate. You will also need to send your current passport card or passport book.

Valid Passport Photographs

As of 2011, the U.S. Department of State no longer amend passports and issue replacements instead. You will, therefore, need to submit two recent colour photographs which meet U.S. passport standards along with your application.

Penalty For False Statements

Anyone who knowingly submits false information or documents as part of their U.S. passport application process can be fined and/or imprisoned.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article

About the Author

Andrew Coates is an internationally syndicated journalist who began writing professionally in 2000 and has contributed to titles such as "Aventura," "Maxim," "Dive" and "Limousine Digest" among others. He graduated from the University of York with a Bachelor of Arts, honors, in English literature.