Siberian huskies are a medium-maintenance breed. Note that Siberians are easy to train, but choosy about obeying.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Dog Beds
- Dog Bones
- Dog Brushes
- Dog Collars
- Dog Dishes
- Dog Food
- Dog Leashes
- Dog Tags
- Dog Toys
- Nail Clippers For Dogs
Keep your husky's weight down. This should not be difficult since they eat less than most breeds their size.
Learn about the health problems associated with this breed: cataracts, corneal dystrophy, glaucoma, progressive retinal atrophy (PRA) and central progressive retinal atrophy (CPRA) (genetic eye disorders), hip dysplasia and zinc-deficiency disease.
Be prepared for a annual or biannual shed fest. This dog's undercoat is thick and lush. While they shed very little most of the year, for a few weeks a siberian husky will lose more hair than you'd think is possible.
Bathe the dog infrequently. The husky is a very clean dog and grooms itself like a cat.
Make sure to trim this dog's nails once a month.
Keep your siberian inside or out, but remember that the breed is very social. If you don't have another dog, you need to keep your husky near its family.
While huskies don't bark much, they aren't silent dogs. They grumble and mutter and occasionally cut loose with a haunting howl that will make your neighbors unhappy if it goes on for an extended time.
Get ready to enjoy 10 to 15 years with your husky - this is the average life expectancy of a siberian husky.
Tips and warnings
- Huskies don't have a doggy smell and are one of the few breeds that people with allergies should consider.
- Provide ample space for huskies; they are bred for endurance running.
- Make sure you or someone in your home is willing to spend 30 to 60 minutes a day playing with and exercising the dog.
- Do not trust your Siberian off of its leash.
- If you want a dog that will be kind to your yard, this is not the dog for you. Huskies love to dig.
- The main reason people give up their huskies is because they can't control them. The second reason is that huskies are accomplished escape artists.