The remote control behaves differently when standby is activated. If your Sony TV does not turn on when you press the power button, it could be stuck in this mode. Although, this is usually the case, it may not always indicate standby mode is the real issue. Many Sony TVs are equipped with a power off switch to conserve energy. If this switch is on, the TV will not turn on quickly either. Troubleshoot with the goal of an accurate diagnosis -- only then will you succeed with a speedy repair.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Press the power button once. If the TV does not turn on, observe the LED indicator, usually located on the TV's lower front panel. If the LED indicator turned off after you pressed the power button once, it is in standby mode. Press the power button once again to exit standby and turn on the TV.
Observe the Standby light if the remote control will not work. If the Standby light stays on, the television is in Standby mode. Press the power button on the television, then try to use the remote.
Turn the Energy Saving Switch off, then press the power button. The Energy Saving Switch is located on the rear or side panel on most Sony model TVs. Refer to your TV user manual for the exact location of the switch.
Tips and warnings
- Standby mode is a power-on issue, so be sure your remote control is working properly. Every few months, check its batteries. Verify that both negative and positive ends are installed properly. Replace both batteries at the same time, even if just one is damaged.
- If your TV is working fine and you press the power button on the television instead of the remote control, the remote control will not work correctly. It will only function properly again after you press the power button on the television.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for