Wind socks in the shape of fish are part of the Japanese holiday Kodomo-no-Chi, or Children's Day, on May 5. The wind socks are often attached to the end of a stick for carrying and holding up to catch a breeze. You can make your own fish wind sock with no sewing required. Look for photos of fish wind socks to help you create the shape; it's simple enough that you don't need a pattern or template.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Light nylon fabric
- Fabric glue
- Plastic coffee can lid (4-inch diameter)
- Acrylic paint
- Paint brush
- Hole punch
- Hot glue
Fold a 24-by-24-inch piece of nylon in half. Make a mark 4 1/2 inches up from the fold on one end; this will be the mouth. Draw the back of the fish from the mark to the opposite end.
Draw a "V" shape for a tail on the side of the folded fabric opposite from the mouth. Leave the folded edge alone; it will become the fish's stomach.
Cut the folded nylon along the lines. Glue the top edge with fabric glue and allow it to dry. Leave the tail open.
Make a slit in the middle of the plastic coffee can lid. With scissors, cut out the middle of the lid so only the round edge is left.
Slide the plastic ring over the mouth opening. Fold the fabric around the ring and glue it down. Allow the glue to dry completely.
Pull the fish body through the hoop so the glued seam is on the inside.
Paint the fish eyes and scales as desired with acrylic paints, and glue ribbons to the fish's tail.
Punch a hole on each side of the fish mouth. Tie two 18-inch pieces of string through the holes. Tie the ends of the string to a dowel for hanging. Use hot glue to keep the knot in place on the dowel, if necessary.
Tips and warnings
- Hang your fish wind sock from a tree or on your front porch, or use it as an indoor decoration.
- Use different-sized plastic lids, such as margarine tub or yoghurt lids, to make different-sized fish.
- The wind sock can become damaged by the weather if you leave it outdoors for a long period of time.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for